Pivot ball adjustment with Mcleod RXT results

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
I have installed 3 of these RXT's since I started messing with these cars. 2 of them required the pivot ball to be 4mm shorter than stock. These 2 cars had aftermarket quadrants.(different brands) They also had aftermarket flywheels with the bolted in insert. The 3rd car ended up using the stock pivot ball height. This car had a new stock flywheel and the stock plastic quadrant. All other details were the same on all 3 cars.

cobracide

Established Member
If everything is about where it should be and your clutch never fully disengages - then bring the pivot ball UP. At least that's what I had to do. Everything else has to be set up properly as well. Such as input shaft end play, ect.

wickedsnake03

KB blown
Established Member
Once you get in there and follow the directions of where McLeod wants the clutch fork to sit in the opening its easy. Just adjust the ball accordingly from there. Really its a simple process. Just might have to drop and lift the trans a few times till ya get it right.

rdrunnr

Click Click Racing
Established Member
Just installed my RXT. I LOVE the feel. I will never, ever use another spec again!

I used the Lakewood 150003 pivot ball and set it about 5mm shorter then stock. The clutch is releasing perfect now.

Last edited:

swisscobra

I've intstalled the McLeod RST last summer with firewall adjuster and 26 Spline Liberty Input Shaft. Had a lot troubles with vibrations around 1200-2500 RPM's while accelerating. It was because a little wrong endplay of the input shaft, since i corrected that its a little better but it still exists between 1200-1800 especially in 4th gear. It's annoying because i used to drive in that range. Does anyone else have the same issues?
@Torch04RedSnake
I spoke to people from tremec and McLeod cause of the settings. As i read your throw out bearing ist touchning the cloutch slightly. They told me that i need a freeplay of minimum 3mm. Just for you to know and maybe ask your dealer. Here's the answer they've given to me. Cause it's the copy of a mail you shlould it read from bottom to top :shrug:
"
Answer:
No, the bearing should not be touching the pressure plate fingers all the time. You need to have at least an 1/8 inch or 3mm between the bearing and the fingers. I spoke with McLeod about this and they said that even the slightest amount of pressure on the fingers can reduce the holding capacity of any clutch, especially in the higher RPM, so they recommend about 1/8 inch or 3mm gap.

Question:
> Derek
>
> Because i've taken the tranny out to check the freeplay of the input shaft i anyway gonna adjust the clutch. It was only smelling when i took of, not during driving, not even on full acceleration. I know that it shouldn't slip then :D
> So i hope i will disappeare a little bit.
> But there's actually one more question I haven't found an answer till yet, also not in the instruction and ford manual. The Throwout Bearing, should it touch the clutch all the time or should i give more freeplay? I think its better if it always touch, isn't it? Because this way its not necessary to accelaret the bearing on every shift to the engine speed.
> Thank you very much that you have taken the time to answer me my questions!
> Kind regards
> Andy
>
Answer:
>> Andy,
>>
>> That is correct, that noise will not damage the clutch and it should get
>> a little quieter with the break in, but it will not completely go away.
>> Unfortunately, that can sometimes be a characteristic with this clutch
>> in some cars. I would definitely readjust the clutch as you should not
>> have any clutch smell, that would mean the clutch is slipping and it
>> should not be doing that.
>> --
Question:
Derek

Thank you for your help. Then I have to live with that. Because of our very restrictive laws i need to pass police cars with the lowest possible rpm's because my magnaflow is completely illegal here. It was also good to drive in low rpm's for the fuel economy when i only was cruising with the car. So it want damage the clutch even if I would drive regularly in those rpm's?
I already have a firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant and i really took my eyes on the setting of the cable during the brake in. So i guess it will stop after a while. It smells as beginner would try to drive that car :(
Kind regards.
Andy

Answer:
>>>> Andy,
>>>>
>>>> That sounds is not the input shaft, that is a normal characteristic of
>>>> that clutch when you are releasing it in really low RPM or accelerating
>>>> from a really low RPM. The RST and RXT clutches have solid hubs which
>>>> helps with durability making them stronger, but in some instances, it
>>>> can cause that noise you are experiencing. I have personally experienced
>>>> that noise with a regular Spec clutch that has a sprung hub. It will not
>>>> effect clutch life or durability. As far as the smell, you might want
>>>> to try readjusting the clutch cable with an adjustable firewall adjuster
>>>> and quadrant. If you do not have those, I highly recommend installing
>>>> those on the car. Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other
>>>> questions.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> --
>>>> On 1/4/2013 12:22 PM, Matt Gerlach wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> -------- Original Message --------
>>>>> Subject: Input Shaft and Clutch Troubles
>>>>> Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 18:01:12 +0100
>>>>> From: <[email protected]>
>>>>> To: Lethal Performance Customer Support <[email protected]>
>>>>>
Question:
Hi
It's a while ago since i purchased a few parts from you. I'm very happy with them, or almost happy. I having troubles with the driveline and i don't really know what it is and haven't found a solution in the forums from svtperformance yet. I guess the problem is my new liberty gear input shaft i mounted in my T56 (I own a 03 Cobra). A send you a link to a video i made while i was driving where you can here the noise an vibration very good. They only appear in low rpm's until around 2500 rpm's. Then its all fine again. But before i changed to the 26 Spline Input Shaft and the McLeod RST Twin Clutch with a Flywheel i never had those problems and were able to drive around in 6th gear at 800 rpm's.
The only thing i can imagine is, that i set the bearing shims wrong. I have a ford maintenance book and i also searched on the website of tremec for the manual. One says it needs freeplay the other says it needs a pressure seat. For me it would be logical to give it a pressure seat. To fit both recommendations, i've chosen the middle, 0.00 move of the shaft, and i think i hit it quite perfect(by the way i'm a precision mechanic).
I guess because the aluminium expands more then the steel shaft the bearing gets freeplay as it becomes to driving temperatures.

And now i'm hoping that you can help me what i could do, i'm a bit desperate. Here in my country, switzerland, theres no mechanic i know who's able to do something like that properly, they have no ideas of american cars.

I also have a question about my clutch, i've been driving now around 650miles with a lot of shifting to break it in. But it still smells very strong when i start moving from standing still, doesn't matter 1rst or reverse.

Thank you very much in advance to take care of my problems!
Kind regards
Andy Haessig
"

Users who are viewing this thread