Pit Bull Bans and restrictions

SVTcobraGirl

Banned
A county just north of here in TN just made legal restrictions against owners of pits!! WTF?? Owners HAVE to have a 8' fence that is concreted into the ground 1' or more with a lock on the gate. They also have to register their dogs and pay $1000+ in registration fees and have liability insurance on them..EACH animal. And if the dog is take into public it HAS to have a muzzle on.

Now.. I'm all for someone owning one. And im tired of seeing people get these dogs and chain them to a tree or dog house. In fact i'm against chaining a dog at all. But $1000 registration fee?!?!? holy hell! The fence is a GIVEN. That is the only way to be a responsible owner. Liability insurance.. is dumb.. people should be smart enough NOT to walk over to a fence and stick their hands ect in...

I have been complaining for 2 years now this area needs to do something to IMPROVE the environment for animals. This is such a small town area our humane shelters do not care. About 8 months ago cops found a mother bully in an abandoned home with 6 puppies.. they took them to the shelter. I went to try and adopt all of them and foster them out over time. The guy working there was a complete dick! the momma dog was a pure angel! I petted on her and the puppies while I was there. Then the guy told me to leave those "mangy man killers alone" And I was like WTF? I told him I wanted to adopt them all and foster them then adopt them out.. they refused! Saying any pit bull bought into their shelter would be euthinized! A week later the momma and her 6 puppies were killed... disgusting! The guy also had the balls to tell me I was a fool for owning my 2 dogs and they ALL will eventually hurt someone... why on earth are people SO narrow minded about these animals?? I want to start something around here to better these animals who are misunderstood but I just dont have the means nor funds... it makes me so so sick to see in the paper of someone mistreating a bully then just because they take it in they kill it... when there are people out here who LOVE the breed and want to save them from that horrible life...

How are laws and such in you other bully owners towns?? Are people THIS stupid there too??

Bullitt#918

I crave horsepower
Established Member
In CA if you post a sign that read "Beware of Dog" the insurance company wont cover you if you get sued for your dog biting someone because you are "admitting your dog is aggressive and dangerous". Its BS

SVTcobraGirl

Banned
thats retarded.. we have one on the gate to our dogs pen.. just for the retards who think they "might" be nice.. harley is very defesive over her home.. freedom will just lick you to death lol

JasonFC

Somethings different
Established Member
I love all dogs to death, expeically bully dogs, we have three in my family. My dog Rotor, and my sisters two dogs, Boo and Leela. All of them are sweeter than pie and wouldnt hurt anything. Nothing but lap dogs.

SVTcobraGirl

Banned
statistics say a good pecentage of dog fighters are criminals... soooo why cant they ban any convicted criminals from owning dogs like pits and rotties. or any dog known to be faught? Punish them not the good owners!

AzSonicSnake

Slowpiece
Established Member
i still am yet to understand why our insurance company will not insure our house because we own an akita. our akita is better behavied than most dogs i have even seen. and has even been socialized, and through a few training courses. but yet, she is still a hazard in thier eyes. how does that work out? just because a few people are idiots, the rest have to suffer? welcome to america i guess.....

slick4_6

Established Member
It goes back to the people like a co-worker of mine. He is 19, bought a pit, and wants it just a little bit mean, not alot though, so it will be a good guard dog. I look at most pit owners as being just like him. Most people that own them around here are just wanting to look badass. Ala drug dealers, young people, and just plain trash. Me personally not knowing anyone normal that has a pit has MY veiw of them skewed I'm sure. I'm not taking a shot at pit owners here, thats just what I SEE in MY area. I'm not taking sides, we already have too many laws.

JasonFC

Somethings different
Established Member
I adopted my boy because i believe every animal needs a second chance, and that he shouldnt be left in a shelter to be picked up by some scumbag. He needed a good and fair chance at life in a loving and caring home, where he would be raised as part of the family. Now, my dog has never been trained to be mean, I do however wrestle with him, ALOT, so he knows how to "fight" a human if one ever breaks in. But all I need to do is say "kisses" and he immedately stops wrestling and starts licking me and wagging his tail and snuggling up to me to try and get hugs, LOL.

He is quiet as can be, NEVER barks unless something is in the yard, and he only does that at night.

A picture of the ole brick shithouse himself lol. He was the runt of the litter, i think, which is why he was abandoned on the side of the road.

rotorpc3.gif

Stack

Established Member
Pit bulls are awesome dogs...its the owners that are bringing a bad name to them

Those bad apples are ruining it for the rest of us

SVTcobraGirl

Banned
slick4_6 said:
It goes back to the people like a co-worker of mine. He is 19, bought a pit, and wants it just a little bit mean, not alot though, so it will be a good guard dog. I look at most pit owners as being just like him. Most people that own them around here are just wanting to look badass. Ala drug dealers, young people, and just plain trash. Me personally not knowing anyone normal that has a pit has MY veiw of them skewed I'm sure. I'm not taking a shot at pit owners here, thats just what I SEE in MY area. I'm not taking sides, we already have too many laws.

See that a lot here too. Drives me crazy.. then these people just chain them up in backyards with crappy ass dog houses and the dogs probably never get petted and loved on:(

My pups are spoiled to death.. lol they WILL lick yo to death. We always give them treats and chew toys.. harley loves her blue bone.. and squeeky toys... well we stopped that after a while the constant "squeek squeek squeek" wil get to you verry quickly lol

But Harley knows who is supposed to be at our house and who is not. She barks when someone pulls in the driveway and its a car she doesnt know. If she knows the car she will let out a realllllllly high pitched happy/excited bark. If theyre strangers its a really deep/loud bark. Freedom could care less lol shes the baby and hasnt picked up on that yet.. I dont look at them as my guard dogs and dont really know what they would do if someone broke in. I look at them as my babies.. they are very loyal and loving dogs. Wouldnt trade either of them for anything.

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
they need to pass a law making fences 20 ft high & wear electric collars & maybe even an ankle cam for pitbull OWNERS who like to FIGHT their dogs!

Pit Bulls can be awesome pets. It's the owners who have them for some sort of power status symbol who fight them is the problem.

Im sure weve all seen the video on TV where this walrus of a woman who sicks her pitbull on an animal control officer (black lady).

The dog was simply doing what nature intended for him to do, protect the owner. The moo-cow of a woman, put her lard ass to sleep instead.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
When are they going to put those kinds of restrictions on parents? IMO, parents that shouldn't have kids are more dangerous to all of society than a breed of dog...

Like Jamz said, Pitbulls can be great pets, but the fact that the dog is a lightning rod for poor, stupid, white trash means certain restrictions may be good.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
In Miami (Dade County Only) where I live, they are banned. If you are caught with one they fine you, take the dog, and kill it. Its retarded. Instead I picked up an English Bulldog and most of the time when Im outside with her, people get all freaked out. One man even threaten to call the cops on me. Its ridiculous.

DravenGSX

Established Member
Pitbulls do /not/ make good guard dogs!!! This is a terrible misconception. A lot of the problem here is the media. Many times the stories you hear in the news about "pitbulls" are not about pitbulls at all. They are an easy target.

There are many many breeds that are instinctively aggressive (such as Akitas) that are generally ignored by the media and legislators.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I adopted my Pitbull when she was about a year old. She was found as a stray who recently had a litter.
We (my gf and i) saw the pic of her on petfinder and pretty much knew we had to have her. We drove almost 3 hours to look at her, and we were on our way home with Rayna in less than an hour.
She's is the calmest, most well-mannered dog that i know.
She doesn't bark, growl, or really care at all when people arrive at my home.
Rayna loves other dogs, and doesn't bark until another dog barks at her. When told to stop, she stops.
She is also very good with children.
My mailman has told me Rayna is the most docile dog he's ever encountered.
The UPS guy gives her a treat every time he comes to the door.
My mother, who was severely bitten by a black lab when she was 7, is extremely afraid of all dogs. Everytime my Gf and I leave for a weekend, my mother wants to be the first one we call when we need someone to take her for the weekend. LOL, she sleeps in the bed with my parents. Right between the 2 of them.

Rayna is now 4 years old, and we have never had a SINGLE problem with her.
I've trained her very well.
However, she thinks sh'e a lap dog cuz she's always trying to sit in our laps.
I honestly think she is just so happy to be in a good home.

raynaclose.gif

cobra_rayna.gif

raynachair.jpg

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member
Just another case of a biased media and political view against dogs that can be trained to behave in a manner that their owner see's fit.

I had a Border Collie when I was a Kid that attacked a couple of kids, he was one of the most friendly dogs I have ever had. These kids would antagonize and throw rocks and etc at him almost everyday. Well one of the kids came on my property and what happend? He scratched them, and they called animal services on him.

Long story short, my dog had to be quarantined for a week because these dumb kids treated my dog like he was crap when they are the ones that should have been punished.

I also agree with people that have seen stories of "Pits" attacking people and when they show a picture they aren't a pit. Us owners need to stand up and vote against laws that would ban these dogs and pass laws that will hold unfit owners liable.....

ROUSHS2

Fist Pumping Your Mom
Established Member
Hmmm lets see here Pitbulls accounted for the majority of the fatal dog attacks in the United States.

2007 Fatalities

1. Texas (January): 10 y.o. girl
2. Missouri (January): 69 y.o. women
3. Virginia (January): 6 y.o. boy
4. Tennessee (January): 18 m.o girl
5. Georgia (February): 2 y.o. girl
6. Texas (March): 50 y.o. women
7. Texas (March): 2 y.o. girl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2006 Fatalities
26 dog bite human fatalities occurred in the United States in 2006

Texas (January); Massachusetts (February); Montana (February); North Carolina (March);
Missouri (March); California (April); Maryland (May); Tennessee (May); Mississippi (June);
Texas (June); Kansas (July); Pennsylvania (July); Texas (July); West Virginia (July); Flordia (July);
Flordia (August); Flordia (August); North Carolina (October); New York (October); Texas (October);
Alabama (November); South Carolina (November); Arizona (November); Georgia (November);
Ohio (November); Texas (November)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 Fatalities
29 dog bite human fatalities occurred in the United States in 2005

California (January); Alabama (February) ; Illinois (February); Virginia (March); Texas (March); Michigan (April); Virginia (April); Georgia (April); Ohio (April); South Carolina (May); Colorado (May); Missouri (May); Michigan (May); Indiana (May); West Virginia (May); California (June); Georgia (July); Indiana (July); Rhode Island (July); California (August); Virginia (October); Georgia (October); California (October); Kentucky (November); Kentucky (November); Texas (November); Michigan (December); Texas (December); Oklahoma (December)

2004 Fatalities
22 dog bite human fatalities occurred in the United States in 2004

With the exception of two elderly ladies, all victims were under 10 years of age. About half of the victims were toddlers or newborns. The majority of the dogs involved were reported to be Rottweilers, Pit bull type dogs.

Now with that said why do you need the insurance hmm lets see..... What if your dog gets out and attacks and kills or disfigures a child? Do you have enough cash in your checking account to cover that? I doubt it.

DravenGSX

Established Member
Rottweilers and pits are different breeds. Where did your statistics come from? How many of the attacks were actually pitbull attacks and not "rottweiler, pitbull /type/ dogs"? Were the dogs provoked?

ROUSHS2

Fist Pumping Your Mom
Established Member
DravenGSX said:
Rottweilers and pits are different breeds. Where did your statistics come from? How many of the attacks were actually pitbull attacks and not "rottweiler, pitbull /type/ dogs"? Were the dogs provoked?

"With the exception of two elderly ladies, all victims were under 10 years of age. About half of the victims were toddlers or newborns. The majority of the dogs involved were reported to be Rottweilers, Pit bull type dogs."

I am somehow doubt that the toddlers or newborns were "provoking" the dogs. But hey maybe the old ladies were beating them with canes from there wheelchairs.:coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread