Pistol Question

f8tlbite

fordplay equals fordgasms
Established Member
I am going to a gun show this weekend to buy my first pistol. I need something for home protection mainly. I will also be carrying this gun to work as well. I am trying to decide between the following three:

Glock 45
Snub nose 38
Snub nose 357

What are your thoughts? I am new to the whole pistol thing, so some adive would be nice. Thanks :thumbsup:

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
All good choices. for concealed carry. leave out the 38. the 357 can fire both 357 and 38. I like your style. I think the Glock45 recoil will actually be more controllable than the others however.

Last edited:

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
If your going to go snub revolver get the .357 as then you can shot both 38 spl and 357 mag. I say this to even women as you want the broadest versatility if your going to be buying a gun get the most out of it as a 38 spl is very limited. Another snub is the Charterarms Bulldog Pug in 44 spl pretty economical and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy. In an auto pistol the 40 S&W beats the 45 ACP in everything except for the grainage of the bullet you can get 230 grain for the .45 only 200 grs for the .40 but with the newer loadings the .40 just flat out performs the .45 ACP plus most of the pistols are smaller over the dustbin sized .45 pistols

just a list of check them out also

1 Charterarms Bulldog Pug 44 spl
2 IWI Magnum Research Baby Eagle compact .40 S&W
3 CZ-75B /P-01,06 in 40 S&W
4 if money is no object Sig Sauer P229, P250
5 Taurus 800 series in .40 S&W you can also get it in .45 ACP

Mike's_98_Snake

Established Member
I'd suggest the Glock 23 (compact) or 27 (baby) which both shoot .40 caliber. The recoil will be a lot less, stopping power is excellent, and a little easier to put on target. Just my .02

The S&W .38 snubbys loaded with +P hollowpoints are nice for an ankle holster, or nightstand drawer too. ;)

f8tlbite

Established Member
what is a fair price for a snub nose 357? My dad told me that Charterarms would be a good choice. Is that right?

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I was looking at the Taurus 4410 the Judge. It chambers .45 cal and 410 shotty shells; bullets, bird shot, buck or slugs, kinda cool if you ask me.

Haulin_05

Does that have a V8?
Established Member
I was looking at the Taurus 4410 the Judge. It chambers .45 cal and 410 shotty shells; bullets, bird shot, buck or slugs, kinda cool if you ask me.

do some research. check out the boxotruth. it doesnt perform the way you would expect. its a kool novelty item though.

f8tlbite

Established Member
I am looking a little closer at the Glock 27 .40 now too. I like how compact it is, even with the pierce clip.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
I am looking a little closer at the Glock 27 .40 now too. I like how compact it is, even with the pierce clip.

I would advise firing one first. Just about break my finger on the underside of the trigger guard with every shot. I think the G23 is just almost as concealable but tamer to shoot. Actually a joy in comparison.

f8tlbite

Established Member
I would advise firing one first. Just about break my finger on the underside of the trigger guard with every shot. I think the G23 is just almost as concealable but tamer to shoot. Actually a joy in comparison.

yeah that is what concerned me the most! I think with the pierce mag I should be alright though, I have small hands.

werstlna

Established Member
If you want to conceal carry and home protection get a snub-nose stainless steel .357, end of story.

Excellent option, my wife and I have been using this and a .38 special +p daily for the past three years. The stainless steel is a bit heavier than the S&W 642 Airweight, but once adjusted to it you're really not bothered by the extra heft. Simplicity and durability of the revolver platform is in your favor here as well.

A little off topic, but make sure you get adequate training with whatever you choose.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Just an opinion:
Don't go to a gun show to buy a gun. You'll overpay and probably won't be able to find what you want.

Go to a good gun shop instead.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
Just an opinion:
Don't go to a gun show to buy a gun. You'll overpay and probably won't be able to find what you want.

Huh?
I got some of my best deals at gun shows..
Especially on the last day.
-Brand new M&P 15 for $875
-new Beretta PX4 storm for 375
-Mossberg 500 tactical for 300
I just had to haggle a bit.

f8tlbite

Established Member
Just an opinion:

We have some big shows here. The guns I am looking at are going to be priced high anywhere. I can not wait until this weekend!!! :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread