Pissed Off

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Well after finally getting my valvetrain noise done away with and getting it somewhat lined out. Installing new valve seals with the new springs, roller rockers, pushrods etc. It still smokes it's ass off. At idle, after I come to stop and while idling. I am so focking pissed about it. This engine has around 1300 miles on it. I am still hoping that it is just b/c the rings (chrome moly units) and forged pistons aren't broke in yet. But I have a sneaky suspicion that the machine shop didn't bore the holes to pistons, and if they didn't I will kill them. Whatever it is though, its killing me. My damn 200,000 plus stock engine didn't smoke like this thing does and the freakin' rings on it were wore even with the pistons! Sorry guys just had to rant, I drove it to lunch and it was smoking and I just wanted to drive it off a cliff. :cuss: :cuss:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
You think they over bored your block? Don't you think you would have some piston slap if that's the case?

RAWSN8K

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc
Established Member
I think it smokes because your rings haven't seated. I have the same problem. I have around 1400 miles on my 347 and it still smokes. The smoke has become less and less as I put more miles on it. I figure that the smoke will be gone at around 2k. That is about how long it take moly rings to seat. Don't worry, just be patient. Good luck.

RAWSN8K

duane v

Established Member
What oil are you running during the motor break in period??? I hope not synthetic:nono: ...You shouldnt see any smoke, actually if the engine was done correctly you should only see smoke for the first 10 to 20 mins after the initial start up...Check the plugs and see if they have cooked oil on them...DA snake boy!!!

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
I have been running straight 30 weight in it.

I am hoping its just not broke in it. The smoke has toned some since I built it but then again I haven't even driven this thing for more than 2 weeks straight since November. I pulled the plugs I first put in it out 2 weeks ago and they quite a bit of oil on them, but that is to be expected and when I pulled the 2nd set out last week they all looked very good, but it had only been run 4 days with those plugs. I am gonna pull a couple of them tonite and see how they look. Guess I am just paranoid since I was afraid that I had hurt something when I had the valvetrain problems. I haven't really been able to see how much oil its using b/c I have had to change the oil a couple times when I have torn it all down and it put it back together. Thanks for the input guys, I just needed to rant about it a little bit. RAWSNK, thanks for your input, I feel a lot better about it now.

Blacksunshine

Established Member
They definately take some time to seat bro. I have seen customers come back after about 2,000 miles and it was still smoking a tad, another 100 miles or so and no more smoking. Don't worry, Just drive it smooth, don't get on it, be patient. :D

Users who are viewing this thread