Pirelli Tire issues...

Tyler72

Established Member
So after a spirited drive today, I noticed my front tires are separating in the middle of the thread. Looks really scary to me actually. They are the factory Laguna Seca tires, Pirelli P Zero Corsa's.

IMAG0805_zps3991703e.jpg

IMAG0806_zpse40ffaa0.jpg

Anyone else run into this issue? The car only has 5500 miles on it. Plenty of tread left but I'm concerned for my safety here. The belts aren't showing and I didn't notice any vibrations, but its still a little concerning. You think Ford will replace them?

Tyler72

Established Member
The other side doesn't have "flaps" yet, but there definitely is evidence of it starting to do the same thing. Maybe Ford will replace the 2 front ones for me. It's kinda a shame. They still have plenty of tread... but If it blew out at the wrong time... that would make for a bad day. The rear ones seem just fine, should I try to get those replaced too?

darreng505

Established Member
With R comps you have to bring them up to temp before "spirited driving". That's when they become elastic otherwise they will shear like that.

Tyler72

Established Member
Gotcha... they should've been decently warm, but then again I really don't know when it happened. It was definitely today as I washed the car this morning & didn't notice it. I did stop a few times for a bit so I guess they could've cooled down when stopped.

Do you think they are still safe or should I have them replaced?

Jabooh1

Established Member
As said above you need to warm them up. This can take longer than thought. When I do an open track day I wait till probably 2-3 laps in per session before going 100%.

I have seen that before on other tires. As long as chunks aren't missing they should be fine. However a trip to the dealer doesn't cost anything and you might get a free set!!!

Deranged2013

Established Member
Looks like a factory defect IMO. The tires should be covered under warranty from the tire manufacture if it is a defect.

darreng505

Established Member
I do have a pair of new stickered corsas I will sell for great price. Since I don't use 19" anymore. Pm me.

Ps. They are rears.

Tyler72

Established Member
I really don't want to buy any right now... unless its just a smoking good deal.

I wouldn't be even considering replacing these if they weren't falling apart. They still have a ton of tread left.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Best bet is to see if the dealer will replace for free. If not, and it was my car, I would still drive on them.

JohnW#88

Established Member
Bummer. Looks like a classic case delamination to me.

The first gen Kumho v710 was famous for this style defect back in the day. Saw a bunch of DNFs due to the tread pealing off completely. I wouldn't know first hand 'cause I was out front on Hoosiers! ;-)

Head to the dealer and ask for replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread