Pipe coming from head exhaust???

armyed

FordFan
Established Member
Hey I just bought a 95 Gt and im wondering what this thing in the pic is thats not attached to anything. I have a feeling that its comes from the passenger side head with exhaust coming out of it then down to the middle of the H-Pipe because that also doesnt have anything attached to it and is blocked off. Also what is it used for and do I need to have it for emmisions. It has an offroad H-pipe on it but I have a Catted BBK one on the way. Any help would be awesome..thanks in advance.

IMG_1808.gif

IMG_1807.gif

IMG_1806.gif

IMG_1805.gif

Last edited:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
The only thing I can think of is air injection line, but by the way you describe it, that doesn't sound like what it is...

armyed

FordFan
Established Member
I dont remember seeing this on my old 92 and since its not connected I have no idea what the thing is and where it goes but it spits out exhaust..When I bought the car I heard an exhaust leak and thats what it was so I plugged it

bradass31

Established Member
I'm not sure but isn't that part of the smog setup- or the smog pump. I know a lot of people pull all that stuff off and cap everything

SN8KBYTE

Established Member
Looks like someone removed the smog pump and capped off that pipe. It is definetly for emissions. There is usually a rubber hose that connects to that end which y's off and goes to the smog pump. Is your smog pump located under your altenator or is there an eliminator pulley there instead?

slo-GT

Established Member
my buddy has something really close to that came on his 96 except it comes out at the front and you can't really see where it goes since he has all his s/c stuff in the way.......but what we don't get is he has aftermarket headers...........it doesn't make sense unless the new headers came with it which seems very unlikely

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Sublimize23 said:
If you're talking about the one with the plug in it, it looks like an EGR pipe.

I was thinking the same thing.

EDIT: As long as it's plugged and you're not throwing any codes, I wouldn't worry about it.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
It's the thermactor tubes, which allows exhaust gases back into the engine to be reburnt, ala part of the egr. It's suppossed to have a tube that runs out, and connect to the smog pump iirc. Myn broke in the same place so I ripped myn off with the heads. Theres a code in the computer, but it won't flash the check engine light, I can assure you that, unless it's been tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread