Pintos out accerlate my L

lipt0n svTE

SVT ranch truck Operator
Established Member
So i was driving home the other night, i punch it on the interstate and the truck starts detonating and i let off, i have a good tune with 94 octane and have had no problems with it for well over a year..... so i keep slowly making the truck pull boost and every time it detonates, i get home and right when i am pulling in the driveway the check engine light comes on... i try to start the truck after shutting it off and it cranks a good 20 seconds then finally fires up, now my truck idles like a cammed out carbed 350... it threw a code P1114 saying IAT sensor 2 low input.. and i got a H02S03 or somethning along those lines saying it was lean. i just recently gifted my truck with a badass oil change all around. and replaced the fuel filter, the truck is virtually undriveable by my standards, i checked vaccuum lines, plugs unplugged senors and plugged them back in... no change the truck pulls boost way earlier than it did before nowbut doesnt go or if more gas is given it trys to detonate. however while idling i can rev it up and once it gets gas revs smooth and healthy but under load pinto quality.... if anyone can help me nurse my pride and joy back to life i will put it on a fitness plan ... thanks for the help and sorry about the long post

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
Check your coil packs and plugs. Mine was doing basically the same thing: it would idle fine until I put it in gear and then it ran like it was cammed. It turned out that I had three loose coil packs from when the dealership changed out the plugs.

bonehead

F**k SRT10's
Established Member
Im Blown said:
+1 for c.o.p.'s. also what about bad gas?
-Joshua

good post. FADE2BLACK always tells people to check all vacuum lines as well. if it idles terrible, id say vacuum lines is where id start.

RUNVS?

Established Member
If all of the above mentioned items check out OK, you've probably lost a fuel pump. The Lightnings have two fuel pumps in the tank and if one fails, the other will provide enough fuel to get you to a shop. However, the truck will not perform very well under load due to fuel starvation. A lean fuel trim will also cause the detonation you are describing.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
First thing I'd do is check fuel pressure at idle and with the relay jumped for high flow mode. I'd say it's the busted off or ruptured in the tank which is common, especially since it only occurs under boost when fuel demand increases. Whatever you do find the problem and correct it before continuing to drive it, DO NOT continue to run it when it detonates. IF you have to drive it somewhere take the s/c belt off so you won't make any boost.

Last edited:

lipt0n svTE

SVT ranch truck Operator
Established Member
So how exactly do i check to see if it has adequate fuel pressure? do i need special tools? like i said in neutral it will rev out fairly decently and smoothly but when it comes down to idle its back to cammed out 350... vacuum lines all appear and feel to be intact and working properly thanks for the info, i will keep you all posted on the progress, hopefully its just an april fools joke a few days late!

03SNOWBALL

Established Member
Oh nope never heard that with my truck but know I know when to let off If I ever hear that.

RUNVS?

Established Member
If you pull your plugs and find little bits of aluminum stuck to the electrodes, those specks are from your pistons and are a sure sign of detonation.

Users who are viewing this thread