Pink eye

5.0 Ford Power

*derp*
Established Member
What are the symptoms of pink eye? My eyes have been itchy, bloodshot, and watery and they feel sticky kind of.... I can't explain it. I've been this way all day. Is this what I have? Or should I go and see a doctor? Thanks for any input guys.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Your eyes will get swollen. They will turn red. And most likely you will get a sticky discharge from the eye, which is either yellow or green.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
5.0 Ford Power said:
Yep I have the green discharge thing going on too.

You can beat pink eye without going to the doctor. See if you can find Similasan in your area. Also use standard saline drops if you can.

Do not use Visine or other medicated drops. If all else fails, go see a doctor. :thumbsup:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
5.0 Ford Power said:
4 hours huh. Kinda goes against the emergency part in ER huh?

You will take back seat at the ER. Trust me. My advise is to only use the ER for emergencies. You'll be fine. Just head down to the local drug store and stock up on saline drops and over-the-counter stuff until you really need a doctor,

5.0 Ford Power

*derp*
Established Member
Thanks for the advice 05 Roush. Ill make a quick stop over at walgreens and pick up some of those drops.Thanks man.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
5.0 Ford Power said:
Thanks for the advice 05 Roush. Ill make a quick stop over at walgreens and pick up some of those drops.Thanks man.

No problem. Just remember, the ER is like standing in line at the DMV. But if you are feeling truly sick to the point you can't function, by all means go. :)

03 stallion

turbo dreams........
Established Member
5.0 FORD, the only way pink eye can be definatively diagnosed is after the eyeball falls out. At that point the diagnosis can be confirmed via culture. If/when your eye falls out, promptly pack it in ice and take it to the nearest available healthcare provider.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
03 stallion said:
5.0 FORD, the only way pink eye can be definatively diagnosed is after the eyeball falls out. At that point the diagnosis can be confirmed via culture. If/when your eye falls out, promptly pack it in ice and take it to the nearest available healthcare provider.

You jerk! :lol1: :p

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
It is too late and I am too tired so I copied this for you.

It certainly sounds like you have Conjuctivitis a.k.a. Pink Eye.

Conjunctivitis, commonly known as "pink eye," is an inflammation of the membrane (conjunctiva) that covers the eye and lines the inner surface of the eyelid. There are four main causes of conjunctivitis.

One cause involves the introduction of either bacterial or viral microorganisms into the eye. These may be transmitted to the eye by contaminated hands, washcloths or towels, cosmetics (particularly eye makeup), false eyelashes or extended wear contacts.

Minor conjunctivitis can accompany a viral cold or flu. Although bacterial and some of the viral infections (particularly herpes) are not very common, they are potentially serious. Both types of infection are contagious.

Irritants are another cause of conjunctivitis. Offenders of this type include air pollutants, smoke, soap, hairspray, makeup, chlorine, cleaning fluids, etc.

Seasonal allergic response to grass and other pollens can cause some individuals to acquire conjunctivitis.

Pink eye may be more serious if you: have a condition that decreases your ability to fight infection (impaired immune system), have vision in only one eye or you wear contact lenses.

SYMPTOMS
Various combinations of the following symptoms may be present: itching, redness, sensitivity to light, feeling as if something is in the eye, swelling of the lids and/or discharge from the eyes. The consistency of possible discharge may range from watery to pus-like, depending on the specific cause of the conjunctivitis.

DURATION
It usually takes from a few days to two weeks for most types of conjunctivitis to clear. Conjunctivitis due to an allergy may continue as long as the offending pollen is present. Under such conditions, symptoms are likely to recur each year.

DIAGNOSIS
Diagnosis consists of physical examination of the eye by the clinician. If a discharge is present, a culture for bacteria may be warranted.

TREATMENT
Treatment varies depending on the cause. Medications in the form of ointments, drops or pills may be recommended to help kill the germ infecting the eye, relieve allergic symptoms and/or decrease discomfort. In the case of conjunctivitis due to a viral cold or flu, the practitioner may recommend that you be patient and let it run its course.

I would not recommend the E.R. As Jeff pointed out you will be triaged as lowest priority and will spend a while there. I recommend warm water compresses applied to the eye. Since it is usually highly contagious, you need to use hand sanitizer after you touch you eye and before you touch anything else. Make sure no one else touches the towel you use for your face or hands.

Good Luck

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
It is too late and I am too tired so I copied this for you.

It certainly sounds like you have Conjuctivitis a.k.a. Pink Eye.

I would not recommend the E.R. As Jeff pointed out you will be triaged as lowest priority and will spend a while there. I recommend warm water compresses applied to the eye. Since it is usually highly contagious, you need to use hand sanitizer after you touch you eye and before you touch anything else. Make sure no one else touches the towel you use for your face or hands.

Good Luck

:beer:

I'm making the last item on your menu Tomorrow. :thumbsup:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
05 Roush said:
:beer:

I'm making the last item on your menu Tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Let me know how you like it. I was actually going to add the recipe for each meal to my sig too :-D

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
Had it when I was younger. Woke up and couldn't open my eye. Worst part was my mom made me goto school that morning. She though I was playing hookie. Next week I think there were only 4 kids left because they all came down with it. Very,very contagious.

Users who are viewing this thread