Pinion Seal

mustangdan429

Established Member
well when i got my gears in, i made sure the guy was going to put in a new pinion seal, because it was leaking...he gave me a bad look and got mad like i thought he was going to cheat me.....well he did, cause 6 months later i put it up on a lift at work and oil is everywhere so im pretty mad.

i know you just pull the DS off to get to it but what else is to it?

i just want to know what to do and no suprises.

Danny

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
I THINK you need to torque it down just right so you don't mess up the crush coller....I don't really know but that's what one of the mechanics I know said. I've been in the same situation when my gears were put in. Mine was leaking a little when I brought the car home after the install. I was going to replace it myself but let the guy who did the gears do it for free.

I'm sure someone who knows thier shit will chime in. :lol1:

Last edited:

SNAKEYE

Established Member
mustangdan429 said:
well when i got my gears in, i made sure the guy was going to put in a new pinion seal, because it was leaking...he gave me a bad look and got mad like i thought he was going to cheat me.....well he did, cause 6 months later i put it up on a lift at work and oil is everywhere so im pretty mad.

i know you just pull the DS off to get to it but what else is to it?

i just want to know what to do and no suprises.

Danny
Mine leaked after having 4.10's installed. I swear the guy who installed the gears didn't replace the original seal. I didn't own the car then, just inherited the problem! Why else would a new seal leak? I did a replacement awhile back. You are going to need a large deepwell socket to fit the pinion nut, 1/2" drive, and a nice, long breaker bar. After dropping the driveshaft (easy, just four bolts), removing the pinion nut and pulling the yoke, I carefully pried the old seal out of the housing with a screwdriver tip. Then came installing the new seal (about $12 from Ford). Without a tool to press the new seal in I had to become inventive. I made a ring out of #12 solid copper wire. The diameter of the ring was equal to the OD of the seal flange minus (1) wire diameter. I taped the wire ring to the front surface of the flange of the seal, slipped it on the shaft of the yoke, slipped the yoke onto the pinion shaft, and pressed the seal into place by tightening the nut until the seal flange seated on the housing. Then I backed off the nut and removed the wire ring, and tightened the nut. I have no idea how much torgue I applied, just all I could while lying beneath the car. That was about 28K miles ago and there hasn't been a drip since. If you think you've lost any amount of gear oil top it up thru the plug in the left front of the housing. If you think you lost a lot of gear oil you may have to add the friction modifier ($5) to keep the rear from chattering. There ta go, not surprises, just grunt work!

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Doesn't sound too tough ... I got lost on the copper wire, though. LOL
I'd first take it back to the mechanic, and tell him it's leaking. Beware of people who lose their temper when you ask questions - I've seen many cases where it's just a cover-up for stupidity!

mustangdan429

Established Member
well i got a friend that works at ford to get me the part, so ill ask him about it before i try it. and like i said, i use lifts all day and so i can work on my own car on the weekends.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread