Pinging Grrrrrrrrr

99RedSVT

Established Member
My trucks been pinging alot lately at WOT..How can i get rid of this problem and what are some things to check out that can cause this problem.

99RedSVT

Established Member
AHhhhhhhh hmmmmmmmmm il have to run out to the truck and find otu what tuens on it right now lol..What tune from teh predator would be my best tune to go with??

99RedSVT

Established Member
Ya ive got a speed shop in tampa that can dyno tune my truck for me..Looks like thats in the real near future...

OH-MAN

Established Member
Pinging is too much timing or too lean or too low of octane.
Any of these will destroy your motor.

Get a proper dyno tune to keep it safe.

mlambert

camaro is hard to spell
Established Member
Every time you hear a ping it is bad enough to blow a tiny chunk off the piston top. Keep your damn foot out of it and add some fuel with the predator.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
99RedSVT said:
AHhhhhhhh hmmmmmmmmm il have to run out to the truck and find otu what tuens on it right now lol..What tune from teh predator would be my best tune to go with??

PUll some timing and add some fuel with the Predator. I had to do the same thing.
Pinging will scatter your engine.

99RedSVT

Established Member
SO i should retard the timing some more?? And richen it up some..Well ill give that a try tomorrow after work and see what happens..

supragod98

Established Member
I just added a 4# lower and put in the predator pulley tune. I heard a lot of bad stuff about the canned tunes. I retarted the timing as much as I could 10% and added about 5% on the fuel. I havent heard any pinging or detonation at WOT. It's running really rich and isnt pulling as hard as I thought it would. Waiting for my custom tune and hitting a dyno.

OH-MAN

Established Member
They run real strong as they get lean right up to the part where they go boom.
Sometimes you cannot hear the pinging. Be carefull .
Check it on a dyno.

gator's bolt

Established Member
mike i have a 6lbs lower and a street tune (SCT by JDM) and am having no problems at wot in this cooler air this winter. its in your tune. you should nearly be able to run stock tune since it is so rich. i wouldnt run any of the aggressive tunes from predator. they are too aggressive in the timing. at worst, rich it up and take the timing down if you can. otherwise, go with a new tune.

also pull a plug and see how the tip looks. its the best indicator.

Last edited:

99RedSVT

Established Member
Well i just changed teh plugs ahhh about a month ago and the front spark plug closest to the front of teh truck ont eh drivers side was prety much gone..But im gonna richen it up alot and retard the timming some more..It usta run pretty good before i dont know what happend when i dynoed it all the time the air/fuel never came above like 10 lol.

Jesse@MBRP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
It sounds to me like you have the Jesse Rohr Custom Predator tune. The pulley tune with 10% more timing added to it. Don't you love that rattle? It sounds like your engine swallowed a jar of marbles??

Jesse

gator's bolt

Established Member
mike are you dynoing in cold air? because you only see the detonation when it is cold. if your plugs are nearly gone, that is damn scarry. dont break this motor. the few rwhp gained isnt worth detonation.

Users who are viewing this thread