Pilot super sports and tire questions

stangs13

VTEC YO
Established Member
I am trying to get my wheel and tire choices narrowed down, I will be going to the track monthly and do roll and some dig races here and there like everyone else on this forum lol. I have a 2011 auto 5.0 and will just have a tune, full exhaust and suspension mods oriented for drag racing. Down the road I plan on a Paxton and have my power levels around 650. I daily drive my car and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future, I would really like to run a bigs and littles set up 24/7 but I don't want to blow through tires rapidly, not to mention the safety factor. I drive about 50 miles round trip to work on the highway, then whatever little amount I do in town. I know the pilot super sports are a very popular choice for a street tire but are expensive, I'm willing to pay for quality. My question here is how would the mpss hold up to straight line performance with the mods I'm planning(just the bolt ons) on a Regular wheel set up ? How well will a set of ET streets on a set of welds hold up to the amount of driving I do on the freeway? The search button didn't quite yield the results I was looking for.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
MPSS are designed for road course dominance, and not so much in straight line. They will be decent on the street, but with often trips to the strip, you will want more.

Continental ExtremeContact DW are the MPSS straight line equivalent. I've heard many people say they so better at the drag strip, and they can be had for cheaper.

You definitely want to have a well performing wet tire for the rains that we can get down there in Houston.

stangs13

VTEC YO
Established Member
I'll look into those. Cheaper is nice! Would the r compound nitto drag radial be to much with the rain we have down here? I think what I will have to do is get a set of 15x10 race stars for the rear and just run those when I go to the strip, I didn't want to have to change wheels and tires out constantly, but I guess it won't be too bad.

Jbstang87

Established Member
Im starting to regret getting the MPSS for my car. 660 bucks for a pair ouch. They ride well but are not meant for all out straight lines. Only do street and strip here in sunny so cal so I should have gotten a drag radial. Should I do the MT Et street 2s or the nt05rs on a 19 inch rim

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I'll look into those. Cheaper is nice! Would the r compound nitto drag radial be to much with the rain we have down here? I think what I will have to do is get a set of 15x10 race stars for the rear and just run those when I go to the strip, I didn't want to have to change wheels and tires out constantly, but I guess it won't be too bad.
Honestly, it's a hard call on the R compounds. If you slow down your speed I'm sure you will be fine, but I would stick to the feeder roads on those heavy Spring and Summer downpours that pop up off the Gulf. Do you stick around the Friendswood area except when you head to RPR? Or do you drive all over?

I'm just speaking out here, but I'd like to see if there are any handling characteristic changes in an R compound driven on concrete roadways versus asphalt roadways.

cb900f

Established Member
Honestly, it's a hard call on the R compounds. If you slow down your speed I'm sure you will be fine, but I would stick to the feeder roads on those heavy Spring and Summer downpours that pop up off the Gulf. Do you stick around the Friendswood area except when you head to RPR? Or do you drive all over?

I'm just speaking out here, but I'd like to see if there are any handling characteristic changes in an R compound driven on concrete roadways versus asphalt roadways.

This ^^ I DD on a Nitto 555r before. Ponding on the freeway is not fun.

You can do it around town, freeway speeds are not recommended.

:beer:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I drive my mt Et drag radials in the rain all the time. Have been doing it for years actually on different cars.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I drive my mt Et drag radials in the rain all the time. Have been doing it for years actually on different cars.

Your luck must be better than mine. My 295/60/15 MT Dr's on my 2012 GT are like bacon on a skillet when it comes to rain. Doing 65 on I-95 came up over a bridge and was side ways before I could blink.
With how hard it can rain down here in south Florida.
I would never recommend the MT Dr's for a DD. It's like playing with a loaded gun. Sooner or later something bad is going to happen.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
ive had great luck with mpSS, SUPER GRIP! super handling....fav tire i have ever ran besides a toyo

stangs13

VTEC YO
Established Member

I travel the beltway to 288 to 610 by reliant park every day for work. I really don't want to have to limit where I drive. And I don't want to worry when my girlfriend needs to drive the car. I know people with lower powered cars that drive on the nitto r compound radials daily and don't have a problem.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
ive had great luck with mpSS, SUPER GRIP! super handling....fav tire i have ever ran besides a toyo

I had the MPSS tires on my 12 GT and yeah they cost money but I wanted the best and got it. They hooked way better than my stock Pirellies ever did! As soon as I burn these stock babies off of the Boss I'll likely be putting MPSS on that sucker as well.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I travel the beltway to 288 to 610 by reliant park every day for work. I really don't want to have to limit where I drive. And I don't want to worry when my girlfriend needs to drive the car. I know people with lower powered cars that drive on the nitto r compound radials daily and don't have a problem.

I think you would be best off with a summer tire, or extreme summer tire. That's just me though. Especially if your girlfriend is driving the car, she would be in a whole different world if she drove it in wet on DRs.

Laztug

Established Member
I will let you know Tuesday. I have a set of 20x11 315/35 20x9 275/35 MPSS that will be installed on the 24th.....UPS permitting.

Jabooh1

Established Member
I was running with the stock Laguna Seca R compounds and they are great for road course performance but not very good back and forth to work. I too live in Friendswood and drive 60 mile round trip to the Galleria area for work each day. Where the freeways pool, feeders pool, and when the concrete is cold the R compounds suck and are borderline dangerous. Almost spun once.

I am looking at MPSS when my current tires Potenzas wear.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
I had the MPSS tires on my 12 GT and yeah they cost money but I wanted the best and got it. They hooked way better than my stock Pirellies ever did! As soon as I burn these stock babies off of the Boss I'll likely be putting MPSS on that sucker as well.

It's a badass tire!:rockon:

RFM50

Established Member
It seems like the toyo proxy r888's are supposed to hook real well and not do so bad in the rain. I'm sure someone else with more experience with them can chime in.

stangs13

VTEC YO
Established Member
I was running with the stock Laguna Seca R compounds and they are great for road course performance but not very good back and forth to work. I too live in Friendswood and drive 60 mile round trip to the Galleria area for work each day. Where the freeways pool, feeders pool, and when the concrete is cold the R compounds suck and are borderline dangerous. Almost spun once.

I am looking at MPSS when my current tires Potenzas wear.

Small world! What does your car look like? I'm sure I've seen it around. I think I will stick with a street tire now for sure. I don't want to risk going into a wall.

harlockssx

Established Member
It seems like the toyo proxy r888's are supposed to hook real well and not do so bad in the rain. I'm sure someone else with more experience with them can chime in.

I'm running them, amazing traction! We don't get too much rain in Abu Dhabi though...the few times it has, they haven't been an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread