Pilot Bearing?

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Remove it hydrolically by using a grease-gun to pack the void behind it with grease and then, using a wooden dowel and a hammer, put the dowel (of similar size to the center hole) in the hole and hit it hard with the hammer. It should pop right out.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Ha - Ha ... That sounds funny as hell, but you're 100 % right. I did that on my old Muncie transmissions, on my old GTOs. The manual said exactly the same thing.

gto3.jpg

Dan

Last edited:

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
Dano said:
Ha - Ha ... That sounds funny as hell, but you're 100 % right. I did that on my old Muncie transmissions, on my old GTOs. The manual said exactly the same thing.

gto3.jpg

Dan
Dano...is that a pic of your 65 GTO..if so nice looking car. I bet you miss her. I used to use that same trick on all my old school Chevys. After doing so many clutch jobs...I bought a pilot bearing removal tool from the local parts house.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I kind of butchered these two photos & text, but they're from the Haynes Repair Manual ...

bearing1.jpg

bearing2.jpg

Dan

94CobraPace

Established Member
They rent a pilot bearing puller at the auto parts stores, Autozone & Orilleys. It is a Y type thing that hinges & a screw screw into & spreads it to hood on the bearing, then a slide puller is used to reomve it. Don't know if that description helps?

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
According to everything I've ever read about changing clutches, and removing transmissions, they have always said to replace the pilot bearing while the trans was out ... better than having to pull the clutch just to change a $5 bearing later on.

Dan

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
If the bearing has been in there and got heated up from an abused clutch, it could have become distorted from the heat, or it may have got some moisture and turned to rust.

Things like that just require a little more effort to break loose. I'd try Break Free or other loosening solvents (let it soak in - don't get in a hurry), and then go back to the two methods mentioned.

When you tried the grease method, the wooden or metal dowel used has to be close to the diameter of the bearing, or the grease will just squirt out, with no effect.

Dan

Last edited:

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
epracmetcon said:
I used a slidehammer with a puller on the end, a lot easier and cleaner then trying to pack it full of grease.

Yeah i tried the grease deal and it never worked. Using a slidehammer with the pilot remover was easy. Took me like 30sec? Just try putting some muscle into it. It will come out eventually.

19ClearCobra96

Established Member
546380_66_full.jpg

this is what I have done to the 2 L shaped hooks that I got with the slide hammer
546380_67_full.jpg

and this one I am just wondering if it looks normal and im not missing something that needs to be taken off.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I'm really sorry about chuckling, please excuse me ... I've broken tools in the past, and it's really a pisser! I know it's not the least bit funny, but to the observer, it's a little entertaining.

Someone who's had their clutch out should chime in and talk about that circular piece that the bearing is in.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread