Piecing together Supercharger kit?

paintballpyro1

Established Member
I was online searching around because ive been wanting to install a supercharger or turbo but couldnt afford the $3k+ tag. I stumbled across this thread $1500 96-04GT Supercharger kit

He claims all you need is the
Discharge Assembly
Air Intake Assembly
Oil feed
Oil drain
Headunit
injectors,maf,fuel pump

all that minus the hu,injetors etc comes out to $800.

Am i just missing something here? I havent gone and checked out many kits yet or their components but seems to good to be true. Again i am new to checking out the power adders and whats really needed so dont be to rough on me :rolling:

nxhappy

Established Member
Budget and supercharger don't mix .... LOL

That being said, your best bet is Ebay and the forums. You can find a used head unit for a reasonable price on Ebay. I am assuming you are going with a centrifugal supercharger like Vortech.

96 04 Ford Mustang V8 4 6 2V Vortech V2 s Trim Complete supercharger Kit Bullitt | eBay

I was online searching around because ive been wanting to install a supercharger or turbo but couldnt afford the $3k+ tag. I stumbled across this thread $1500 96-04GT Supercharger kit

He claims all you need is the
Discharge Assembly
Air Intake Assembly
Oil feed
Oil drain
Headunit
injectors,maf,fuel pump

all that minus the hu,injetors etc comes out to $800.

Am i just missing something here? I havent gone and checked out many kits yet or their components but seems to good to be true. Again i am new to checking out the power adders and whats really needed so dont be to rough on me :rolling:

Longtubes

Established Member
Probably better to just buy a complete package in this case, just makes it easier. And it'll be expensive either way, might save a bit by going seperate but more time consuming.

paintballpyro1

Established Member
Budget and supercharger don't mix .... LOL

That being said, your best bet is Ebay and the forums. You can find a used head unit for a reasonable price on Ebay. I am assuming you are going with a centrifugal supercharger like Vortech.

96 04 Ford Mustang V8 4 6 2V Vortech V2 s Trim Complete supercharger Kit Bullitt | eBay

Yea that why i had to ask cause i was like no way cause people would be doing this all the time then instead of buying a new kit. Not really sure yet, open to ideas. i wanted to go turbo but not gonna deal with trying to rip out my longtubes and everything again haha.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I have a polished vortech T trim kit for sale for $1000. Comes with all fittings, 2 pullies, power pipe, bracket/headunit/bolts/spacers (obviously), outlet pipes, and a tapped oil pan. Needs to be rebuilt though because it has a small leak in it. Link below:

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/4253548857

Not trying to be "that guy" and push to sell this thing but i'm just saying and i'm in MI.

Anyways, your list looks complete. The thing that will cost the most will be the head unit. That will be pretty expensive and ANY used headunit you get, I would send in to be rebuilt. Better be safe than sorry. Factor in money for the injectors, belt (~$50), pulley (~$60), fuel pump, spark plugs, and a tune.

Good luck man. Need any help with anything, pm me if you want because I've gone through this shit many times before.

paintballpyro1

Established Member
I have a polished vortech T trim kit for sale for $1000. Comes with all fittings, 2 pullies, power pipe, bracket/headunit/bolts/spacers (obviously), outlet pipes, and a tapped oil pan. Needs to be rebuilt though because it has a small leak in it. Link below:

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/4253548857

Not trying to be "that guy" and push to sell this thing but i'm just saying and i'm in MI.

Anyways, your list looks complete. The thing that will cost the most will be the head unit. That will be pretty expensive and ANY used headunit you get, I would send in to be rebuilt. Better be safe than sorry. Factor in money for the injectors, belt (~$50), pulley (~$60), fuel pump, spark plugs, and a tune.

Good luck man. Need any help with anything, pm me if you want because I've gone through this shit many times before.

dont mind you being "that guy" haha. Where at in mi? Im from waterford. Yea i wish i could afford one now as i would drop some $$ but i gotta pay off my medical bills with my tax returns along with a ring for the gf..well not for long. I wanted to get some of my research started and figure what its gonna cost and what i fully want to do with the car. I have a new motor,trans new rear end,03 cobra brakes(just finished, gf doesnt know i bought them yet :D ) along with a bit of suspension so next step would be a power adder of some sorts.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I'm over in Livonia and have a small little shop there. I hear ya with having to pay off bills, my tax return money is spent already and I havent even gotten it yet haha. Your girlfriend might freak out a little if she knew how much you spent on all of that stuff haha.

You are headed in the right direction for your build though. Don't forget subframe connectors though and a good set of wheels/tires. If you need any help, let me know! Suspension mods are pretty much needed when adding more power.

nxhappy

Established Member
After all said and done u will be close to $3000....tuner, injectors, fuel pump, intake, intercooler, and other stuff you don't plan on! Just save up, do lots of research, and ask questions!

paintballpyro1

Established Member
I'm over in Livonia and have a small little shop there. I hear ya with having to pay off bills, my tax return money is spent already and I havent even gotten it yet haha. Your girlfriend might freak out a little if she knew how much you spent on all of that stuff haha.

You are headed in the right direction for your build though. Don't forget subframe connectors though and a good set of wheels/tires. If you need any help, let me know! Suspension mods are pretty much needed when adding more power.

i used to live in livonia as well, middlebelt between 5 and 6mile. I bought my brakes from other sources and managed under $350 for everything i believe. Already got full length subframes,solid upper/lowers, lowered and some nitto drags. i know i can do a bit more suspension wise but it hasnt really been needed at stock levels atleast for now :) im hoping with my new job promotion i will make alittle more and can actually save some $$

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
After all said and done u will be close to $3000....tuner, injectors, fuel pump, intake, intercooler, and other stuff you don't plan on! Just save up, do lots of research, and ask questions!

This. X1000

paintballpyro1

Established Member
how much do tuners run now? I think last time i checked they wanted $500 for dyno but cant remeber since its been a long time

nxhappy

Established Member
how much do tuners run now? I think last time i checked they wanted $500 for dyno but cant remeber since its been a long time

Well it depends. If you don't have a SCT handheld tuner then you have to buy it. Then you can get a "mail" tune so you can drive the car. Then you take the car and get it on the dyno with a tuner. They will check the AFR and make the adjustments they need to make. Every tuner can differ. You might only pay $200 for a tuner to make slight adjustments. Other tuners may want $1000 ...lol. You just have to call around. BUT....it is VERY important you do research. You have to talk around and find the BEST POSSIBLE tuner in your area. You don't want to go to "joe blows tune shop" and get a crappy tune....because the tune is the MOST important part of your setup. So that being said, go to a REPUTABLE tuner, that is well known for tuning MUSTANGS. You may have to drive 4 hours to find a good one.....but in the end....it will be well worth it ! :beer:

Last edited:

paintballpyro1

Established Member
yea already have a sct tuner. i got a few around here like livernois and lido at alternative which ive heard good things with him. I used to have one called nelsons performance 5min from my house but they went out of business

Users who are viewing this thread