Pictures of front fender cobra emblems

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
I want to get pictures some pictures and measurements of the front fender Cobra emblems on your cars to compare to see if Ford just randomly placed them on. If you guys could get some pictures and measurements that would be a big help!!:beer: Thanks in advance, Hermann:rockon:

jspalmer01

Established Member
I want to get pictures some pictures and measurements of the front fender Cobra emblems on your cars to compare to see if Ford just randomly placed them on. If you guys could get some pictures and measurements that would be a big help!!:beer: Thanks in advance, Hermann:rockon:

Hermann..I don't have any pics readily available but this much I do know. The emblems came in clear plastic with the car and were put on by the dealer. I know this because I bought my car new and helped the dealer put them on the car. Therefore, you will most likely see some variability in where they are placed. If there are Ford specs on placement I don't know what they are.

buddha93

Established Member
Interesting bit of information John. I find that odd that they weren't put on from the factory. I'm trying to rember if the standard 5.0's where like that too. I knew a guy that worked at a dealership here in town and I can remember seeing them when they came off the trailers. Ford spraying some sort of coating over the entire car and put a bottle of a solution with the car to wash it off.

jspalmer01

Established Member
Interesting bit of information John. I find that odd that they weren't put on from the factory. I'm trying to rember if the standard 5.0's where like that too. I knew a guy that worked at a dealership here in town and I can remember seeing them when they came off the trailers. Ford spraying some sort of coating over the entire car and put a bottle of a solution with the car to wash it off.
Yes, I find it odd as well. It could be mine was the only one that came that way?? Don't know. But they definitely were not on the car. Maybe some other original owners can chime in with their experience.

hi_po_heads

Established Member
the newer cars had tabs to align the badges. sucks that they didnt do it all along unless you want to debadge the car.

fivestangs

Established Member
Yes, I find it odd as well. It could be mine was the only one that came that way?? Don't know. But they definitely were not on the car. Maybe some other original owners can chime in with their experience.

I'm an original owner and the badges were on the car when I bought it...I have no idea if the dealer installed them or not...sorry :shrug:

buddha93

Established Member
Back then there was a little bit of dealer prep, so who knows.

Anymore about the onlything they do is screw in the antennae, if it even comes with one.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I witnessed several 1993 Cobras come off the Motor Convoy Transports new from Dearborn Assembly back in 1993. All of them had the side emblems attached when unloaded. Some Dealers were removing them because of theft. Some were replacing them because of theft. This was a common practice with shift knobs as well.

jspalmer01

Established Member
I witnessed several 1993 Cobras come off the Motor Convoy Transports new from Dearborn Assembly back in 1993. All of them had the side emblems attached when unloaded. Some Dealers were removing them because of theft. Some were replacing them because of theft. This was a common practice with shift knobs as well.

This is very true and could very well have been why mine did not have them on when I bought it. We "eyeballed" the emblems onto the car.

buddha93

Established Member
Ah, that makes a bit of sense.

So I wonder if they just put an extra set in each car because of theft, or just quit putting them on at some point in time because they were being thieved? Interesting though.

Speaking of theft, I can remember in 91' when the pony wheels came out everyone wanted them. Me and a buddy were looking at a few coupes (if I only knew then what I know now) in the back of the lot one weekend. This particular Mustang was in the middle of a row of cars, towards the back and sure enough, they cinder-blocked it and got all 4 wheels.

jbrown1238

Established Member
It is a little off subject but I had a 1983 15th Anniversary Hurst Olds. I ordered a couple extra decals and was amazed to find that the backing sheet was cut to size to follow the vertical curve of each door and properly measured to avoid incorrect spacing from door gap to decal.

The newer Cobras have the guide pin on the emblem and the tiny hole in the fender. I don't remember any templates coming directly from Ford to dealers for early Cobra Emblem replacement but you can bet they had some type of referance material at Dearborn to ensure the emblems were placed correctly.

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
Was the olds the year of the "lighting rods"? My buddy's dad had one of those (think he still does) when we were growing up.

svt2205

Established Member
Back to the emblems, in a copy of the 1993 Cobra chapter, from what was to have been in the to be released SVT Recognition Guide that the late Tom Shreiner was working on, there are two photos of a red 93 Cobra on the assembly line. The caption refers to being near the end of the assembly line at DAP. This car or possibly it's 2 different red cars, do not have the emblem on the car.

Unfortunately, the resolution of the document I have is on the low side, so I can't offer up any other details, nor can I post a copy. (Tom had requested that I keep this confidential.)

In my mind, this sort of supports John's belief that the emblems were added at the dealership. Like John, I too am an original owner, but my car sat on the dealers lot for a good 9 months before I bought it.

Last edited:

jbrown1238

Established Member
Back to the emblems, in a copy of the 1993 Cobra chapter, from what was to have been in the to be released SVT Recognition Guide that the late Tom Shreiner was working on, there are two photos of a red 93 Cobra on the assembly line. The caption refers to being near the end of the assembly line at DAP. This car or possibly it's 2 different red cars, do not have the emblem on the car.

Unfortunately, the resolution of the document I have is on the low side, so I can't offer up any other details, nor can I post a copy. (Tom had requested that I keep this confidential.)

In my mind, this sort of supports John's belief that the emblems were added at the dealership. Like John, I too am an original owner, but my car sat on the dealers lot for a good 9 months before I bought it.

Here is a photo of a 1993 Cobra R moving through the assembly process. You can just barley make out the bottom of the Cobra Emblem in the photo.

DiskB219.jpg

Although in the photo of all 107 93 R models at DAP it looks like there are no side emblems present. We may never know for sure. This is a very early photo before the wheels were changed.

DiskB217.jpg

Last edited:

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
My car, with an April 21st build date, came in to the dealership with all emblems in place.. I was there when the car was delivered.

WayFastWhitey88

Established Member
Yeah I think they were taken off at dealerships in some cases due to theft. I can say for sure it was a problem for items such as the Roush 380R's tool kit and medallion ($300-$400 cost), Cobra & Shelby emblems, and I've even heard of the floor mats getting stole if they were in before the car was sold.

Users who are viewing this thread