Pics: Ported 6.1 Hemi Intake Manifold

Paulinator

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
I can't stress enough how easy it is for a novice to screw things up when it comes to porting. The two links above are absolute garbage (sorry, I know David from back in the day on the Corral, nice guy but not a pro). Anyone or thing that tells you to take anything out to a gasket is flat out wrong.
If I laid ten of the same head or intake castings (each ported differently) out in front of a dozen random people on this site, I can guarantee that maybe 1 if any would choose the one that makes the most power. Most would choose the biggest, shinest version, which unfortunately would make the least power. Most importantly you want to keep cross sectional area and volume down, velocity is king and hogging will turn your ride into a pig very quickly.
Check out Reher Morrison's advice, there's a ton of it in the tech talk section: http://www.rehermorrison.com/techTalk/indexStart.htm

lots of good information from that guy. but my velocity increased do to me only porting the oulets and inlets. due to it being engine vacume not boosted. and also by design these intakes create a tornado effect the creats velocity which i found out cleaning the intake. and i did a before and after. sprayed water through each runner cleaning it out. then after the port the water moved faster through the runners due to less restriction and it fanned out further than before thus my velocity did increase.

okay here u go to show the curve difference the intake manifold made. few years before
3rd gear pull
dyno.gif

only mods since then were headers and ported intake manifold. this was a 2nd gear pull.
DynoMay.gif

Paulinator

Established Member
it moved my HP peak from about 4000 rpm to 4700 rpm and that was with it running way lean! i need to get a 2 piece drive line and a new fuel pressure regulator and then a retune and hopefully get a good pass on a dyno. but porting the intake to the gaskets made a major difference i could feel. remember round ports. vs square ports take differently to porting. GM and dodge use high volume square intake ports. ford uses round and oval high velocity intake ports. that are significantly smaller but flow the same as the bigger ports due to velocity like u said. but there are alot of factors to play into. every head and intake is different.

Fourcam330

Established Member
1) I have no idea what you want me to see in your graphs, how do they correlate?

2) Air doesn't flow the same way through an intake that water does.

3) You claim that round ports take to gasket matching differently than square ports, yet you say my square port manifold should have been taken out to the gasket?

4) Modular heads do not flow the same as LSX or 6.1 heads. They have more velocity simply because the ports are so tiny by comparison due to the smaller displacement engines they have to fill and the tiny ass valves (2v).

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Thanks guys, I'm pretty satisfied with it as well. I'm dynoing tomorrow evening since I ran out of time after installing it. There is a defnite seat of the pants difference, from midrange to redline. First and second gears rev out incredibly fast.

gomach,
I'd say you're right but we can make well over 400rw on the stock longblock N/A through an automatic, try doing that with an LS2 (our direct competitor).

????? I have seen ALOT and I mean ALOT of LS1 and LS2 based stuff make well over 400 rwhp n/a through sticks and auto setups n/a on a stock bottom end over the years.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Speeds8erM-1 said:
????? I have seen ALOT and I mean ALOT of LS1 and LS2 based stuff make well over 400 rwhp n/a through sticks and auto setups n/a on a stock bottom end over the years.

Stock longblock (not shortblock) + stock intake--meaning just external bolt ons? Not with an LS1-LS2.

fastss

Fast00ss
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
With regard to intake manifold design (less the metal vs. composite) you are correct. Cylinder heads are a different story. DCX uses an almost square intake port, twin spark plugs, and a D shaped exhaust port.
LS6,ls2,ls3 and ls7 heads all have D-shaped exhaust ports.

Fourcam330

Established Member
fastss said:
LS6,ls2,ls3 and ls7 heads all have D-shaped exhaust ports.

Yes they do, just like the 6.1s--pretty much the only thing they share. Being that it's the most efficient exhaust port design for a 2v, I'm glad they went that route.

Last edited:

Paulinator

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
1) I have no idea what you want me to see in your graphs, how do they correlate?

2) Air doesn't flow the same way through an intake that water does.

3) You claim that round ports take to gasket matching differently than square ports, yet you say my square port manifold should have been taken out to the gasket?

4) Modular heads do not flow the same as LSX or 6.1 heads. They have more velocity simply because the ports are so tiny by comparison due to the smaller displacement engines they have to fill and the tiny ass valves (2v).

oops forgot to type "about the same" i know damn well lsX heads flow more than modulars aside from the 4v heads and what u are suppose to see in the graph comparison is by porting the intake manifold it increased the efficiency, and flow of the intake manifold so it can make power 800RPM higher than the stock one did.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Paulinator said:
oops forgot to type "about the same" i know damn well lsX heads flow more than modulars aside from the 4v heads

GM and dodge use high volume square intake ports. ford uses round and oval high velocity intake ports. that are significantly smaller but flow the same as the bigger ports due to velocity like u said.

GMs are more rectangular and DCXs more square. It seems like you're contradicting yourself a lot. A 2v modular head is about the worst place on earth to start for a performnce application. It's nowhere near on par with any decent GM/DCX head. 4Vs are closer (due to having such large curtain area) in terms of flow (much better in velocity) but still aren't quite on par. If 4v modular's valves/seats were set up to fit a 4" bore like the LS/Hemi's it would be a different story, but now I digress...

and what u are suppose to see in the graph comparison is by porting the intake manifold it increased the efficiency, and flow of the intake manifold so it can make power 800RPM higher than the stock one did.

Can you overlay the before/after, and why are there three graphs? It's hard to see average gains/losses unless they're on the same chart or you have a spreadsheet breakdown.

Paulinator

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
GMs are more rectangular and DCXs more square. It seems like you're contradicting yourself a lot. A 2v modular head is about the worst place on earth to start for a performnce application. It's nowhere near on par with any decent GM/DCX head. 4Vs are closer (due to having such large curtain area) in terms of flow (much better in velocity) but still aren't quite on par. If 4v modular's valves/seats were set up to fit a 4" bore like the LS/Hemi's it would be a different story, but now I digress...

Can you overlay the before/after, and why are there three graphs? It's hard to see average gains/losses unless they're on the same chart or you have a spreadsheet breakdown.

there is only 2 graphs the 2nd graph the place the HP and torque on a seperate sheet then the a/f curve at the bottom.

Fourcam330

Established Member
So you lost a good bit of power and torque under 3600rpm in a N/A 2v that needs to be shfited by 5500rpm. I think that pretty much proves my point about gasket matching.

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Stock longblock (not shortblock) + stock intake--meaning just external bolt ons? Not with an LS1-LS2.

Durrrr, I read it wrong but even stock longblock with a camshaft only it has been done alot with a 6 speed, even auto, although the converter needs to be locked with some of the big converters people are running.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Speeds8erM-1 said:
Durrrr, I read it wrong but even stock longblock with a camshaft only it has been done alot with a 6 speed, even auto, although the converter needs to be locked with some of the big converters people are running.

I know it can be done with a cam, but no one's done it with a stock longblock through an auto.

Users who are viewing this thread