Pics: Ported 6.1 Hemi Intake Manifold

Fourcam330

Established Member
The heat resistant coating (under the matte black powercoating) is around 1/8" thick and keeps the intake luke warm to the touch vs. a stocker which can hit 190F+ during spirited driving.
The runners are much straighter after porting which really can't be seen in these pics, but what is obvious is the amount of material removed from the fuel injector bosses and throat of the plenum. The runner inlets in the plenum are also nicely radiused and the runners themselves haven't been opened up very much at all keeping velocity high.

Stock:
0008.jpg

Ported:
0004.jpg

Stock:
0009.jpg

Ported:
0005.jpg

Stock:
0010.jpg

Ported:
0007.jpg

Stock:

0011.jpg

Ported:

0006.jpg

0015.jpg

0016.jpg

0017.jpg

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
ford_racer said:
Is it just me or do Dodge motors look just like LSx motors?

With regard to intake manifold design (less the metal vs. composite) you are correct. Cylinder heads are a different story. DCX uses an almost square intake port, twin spark plugs, and a D shaped exhaust port.

408GT

8 second club
Established Member
Looks like you did a good job man. Let us know the hp difference!

Fourcam330

Established Member
Thanks guys, I'm pretty satisfied with it as well. I'm dynoing tomorrow evening since I ran out of time after installing it. There is a defnite seat of the pants difference, from midrange to redline. First and second gears rev out incredibly fast.

gomach,
I'd say you're right but we can make well over 400rw on the stock longblock N/A through an automatic, try doing that with an LS2 (our direct competitor).

Last edited:

TRXboy

Established Member
What is the coating on the IM? I know it releases heat (10x's?) faster than bare aluminum, just can't remember the name, seems to be the new thing to do.

Paulinator

Established Member
damn should have gasket matched it all the way. looks like u only took out like 1mm on either side. looks good though

i did the one on my truck about a year ago

LowerIntake.gif

PlenumOutlet.gif

PlenumInlet.gif

IntakeFinal.gif

before
intakemanifold1.gif

outletport.gif

Fourcam330

Established Member
Gaskets are not for port matching, they are for sealing. You should NEVER port to the dimensions of the gasket. Not to be a dick but my God unless that intake was used on a FI car it must've been a dog. Remember a sewer pipe may flow 1000cfm but it isn't going to make shit for power.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
TRXboy said:
What is the coating on the IM? I know it releases heat (10x's?) faster than bare aluminum, just can't remember the name, seems to be the new thing to do.

Not sure, I'll talk to the coaters to find out. I was thinking about going with a dispersant on top and a blocker on the bottom but ended up going with the thermal barrier all around. I'm also using thermal intake gaskets. This setup has proven far superior to running phenolics alone--which create a dog leg right in front of the port.

Paulinator

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Gaskets are not for port matching, they are for sealing. You should NEVER port to the dimensions of the gasket. Not to be a dick but my God unless that intake was used on a FI car it must've been a dog. Remember a sewer pipe may flow 1000cfm but it isn't going to make shit for power.

i ported them to 1 mm from the lip on the gasket. have u ever seen how ford does their gaskets? ford gaskets have a lip then the sealing ring. and it helped so much with the D heads that came on my motor that it threw me 1.5 points lean. so i had to upgrade injectors. so i did see a massive increase in power

EVLSVT

Banned
how do you port/polish? Is it something anyone can do? If i popped my 01 intake off and just hollowed it out as much as possible (LOL) would that do the trick?

Paulinator

Established Member
EVLSVT said:
how do you port/polish? Is it something anyone can do? If i popped my 01 intake off and just hollowed it out as much as possible (LOL) would that do the trick?

u will need an aluminum cutting bur for a die grinder. some sanding drums sand paper. i think summit sells a port polishing kit. but the carbide burs are single cut
and are about 30 bucks each. i do alot of it for friends and stuff to sell on ebay. so ive got a 1/4" makita die grinder. 2 bits 1 2 inch and 1 6" long bur they work great.

Fourcam330

Established Member
I can't stress enough how easy it is for a novice to screw things up when it comes to porting. The two links above are absolute garbage (sorry, I know David from back in the day on the Corral, nice guy but not a pro). Anyone or thing that tells you to take anything out to a gasket is flat out wrong.
If I laid ten of the same head or intake castings (each ported differently) out in front of a dozen random people on this site, I can guarantee that maybe 1 if any would choose the one that makes the most power. Most would choose the biggest, shinest version, which unfortunately would make the least power. Most importantly you want to keep cross sectional area and volume down, velocity is king and hogging will turn your ride into a pig very quickly.
Check out Reher Morrison's advice, there's a ton of it in the tech talk section: http://www.rehermorrison.com/techTalk/indexStart.htm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread