Pics and a question for you guys

lastexit99

Established Member
First of all, here is a few shots of my car

d4b19f94.jpg

47b4fdb8.jpg

06577d38.jpg

Let me know what you think...

Secondly, I have been chasing a MPG problem for most of the summer, I have a check engine light that will come on and go off, plus really bad gas mileage. My car is completely stock. Here's what I have done; Change air filter, changed fuel filter, changed spark plugs, changed spark plug wires, found a hole in my air tube and replaced it...that's about it. I'm thinking should change the O2 sensors as a next step to see if the mileage improves...any ideas guys? Someone also mentioned that the "ethanol gas" maybe reaking havoc too, anything to that you think?

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
What kind of millage are you getting? You will get about 10 - 15% less millage on the E-10 than with real gas. Is real gas available in your area?

chromeyellosnak

Established Member
Looks good man! Get a cobra for the grill. I think some new fogs are in order and I would love to see the stock 96/97 rims widened to a 10. 5 with a 315. I love those rims ,one of my favorite stock rims. I contemplated gettin a set for my c.y and widening the rears.

lastexit99

Established Member
As far as what mileage I am getting, I always got around 20 MPG on "city" driving, and well over 25MPG on "highway" driving. Last 2 tanks have been around 11 - 12 MPG. With a "Check Engine" light that comes and goes.

Cobra_Kid

Established Member
Maybe ask a tuner or run a diagnosis with a good mechanic. Your mpg us definitely low.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
I had that same problem on my 04 and it was some carbon evaporator or scrubber. I can't remember but it was for the fuel system. CE light would come and go. Gas gauge just dove quickly especially on highway. Took it to the dealer and was fixed $350 later.

Main reason I took it to the dealer was the car was stock at the time and I only had it for a week.

lastexit99

Established Member
Maybe it's time to take it the local Ford Dealer. Get a proper diagnosis. I have a decent relationship with them, just hate to spend a ton of money.

Noreast

Established Member
Car is absolutely gorgeous. What codes are coming up? If its an Evap code that could cause your bad mileage. I'm having a similar problem but it's my Evap purge valve and Solenoid.
Scan the codes and post up the number

lastexit99

Established Member
Thanks for the compliment, I have tried really hard over the years to keep it looking good. I haveowned my car since 1999 and was my daily driver for almost all of those years. I remember hearing that Ford was making a factory Mustang that had 305HP. 305 seemed like such a gaudy number at the time. It is/was my dream car.

As far as Codes go, I have P1443 code. I replace the Solenoid and the valve, the tubing connecting them and going out to the purge tank in the fender well seems fine. I am going to put the code reader back on it this weekend, when I also change the oil, and following 98v8's advice to clean the MAF.

I called SVT a few weeks ago and explained my problem to them giving them all the info I had about the code, he told me that the P1443 code wasn't goign to cause "that much" gas mileage loss, but also said it was a place to start. My brother, who is much smarter about cars than me, suggested the o2 sensors. I'm going to call my Ford dealer and see what their price on the sensors...American muscle's are 50 bucks each, but they are splice in...would much rather just plug & play.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Thanks for the compliment, I have tried really hard over the years to keep it looking good. I haveowned my car since 1999 and was my daily driver for almost all of those years. I remember hearing that Ford was making a factory Mustang that had 305HP. 305 seemed like such a gaudy number at the time. It is/was my dream car.

As far as Codes go, I have P1443 code. I replace the Solenoid and the valve, the tubing connecting them and going out to the purge tank in the fender well seems fine. I am going to put the code reader back on it this weekend, when I also change the oil, and following 98v8's advice to clean the MAF.

I called SVT a few weeks ago and explained my problem to them giving them all the info I had about the code, he told me that the P1443 code wasn't goign to cause "that much" gas mileage loss, but also said it was a place to start. My brother, who is much smarter about cars than me, suggested the o2 sensors. I'm going to call my Ford dealer and see what their price on the sensors...American muscle's are 50 bucks each, but they are splice in...would much rather just plug & play.

Call Tousley Ford for great prices for the stock parts. They have a thread that is stickied at the top of this sn95 section. Very clean car!

mysteed

Established Member
Stop throwing parts at the car in hopes of fixing it. Figure out WHY the P1443 code keeps coming up and then go from there.

JP_Stang

Established Member
The car looks amazing man, expecially for DD'ing it all those years! There are only a few things I would have to do if it were mine. Lower it, new fog lights, shorten the antenna, put a Cobra on the front in place of the Mustang, buy some expensive wheels, build the motor, slap a blower on it, shoove a T-56 in there and some 4.10 gears. :burnout:

Seriously tho, I can really respect the all original cars and it looks like you have a beauty on your hands.

As for the issue you are having, I have to agree with the above statement. Stop buying replacement parts until you figure out what is causing this problem, even it means taking it to a shop to get it diagnosed.

lastexit99

Established Member
If you have ever driven on West Virginia roads then you would understand why I have not lowered it. Fog lights to match the smoked headlights are on the horizon. The antenna doesn't bother one or the other, so I don't see it happening. As far as wheels go, the only one I really like besides the stock ones are the FR500 wheels, but I still think the stock wheel look nice. The gears are in there, but the blower and all that is gonna have to wait...with 2 kids under 3 years old, hard to have money to do anything, let alone time...haha.

you guys have me convinced...after the oil change tomorrow, I'm going to see if the code is still coming up, and get it an appointment at the Ford Garage. It's kind of like taking it to the doctor, I hate to do it but it is for the best. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Last edited:

lastexit99

Established Member
ok, so I took my car to the Ford Garage Saturday. When I left the house the check engine light was on, and I needed gas, so I went and filled up, and about a 1/4 of a mile form the garage the "Check Engine" light went out. They told me at the garage that they couldn't get a code unless the light was on. They hooked up my car and sure enough, nothing. The old p1443 code that was there was even gone from wne I replaced the Solenoid.

SO now I'm stuck waiting for my check engine light to come back on and hope I can get it to the garage before it goes out. The good news is (sarcasm) that I drove my car Sunday and the light came back on. I asked the mechanic about the O2 sensors and they said that they were showing as working fine.

Kind of disappointed though.

lastexit99

Established Member
They said the P1443 code history was there, but not active, and nothing else showed up. They said my car wouldn't store a code, which seems "funny" to me. Like how could the P1443 be there in a record if it doesn't have a way of showing a history.

Users who are viewing this thread