Pickup suggestions?

96 cobra

Established Member
So, I'm finally going to go ahead & get a used 4x4 pickup.
It'll be used for traveling/tent camping, driving on the beach and some light off-roading.

My price point is roughly $15k. No real preference in regards to compact vs full-size (even though mpg tends to be fairly similar), domestic vs import, single cab vs not; although I would really like a 2nd gen. single-cab manual trans. tacoma.:-D I know toyota has improved the frame metallurgy in the past few years, but how are the 2008+ tacos in terms of rust?

Complicating things is apartment living and it's constraints on repairs/maintenance. I get get away with oil changes, brake pads/rotors, essentially anything more complex would have to be handled via a repair shop at repair shop prices... this, and typical undercarriage rust issues makes me think it would be best to get the newest, lowest mile example truck I can find.

Any suggestions? :read:

coposrv

Established Member
A close friend and his dad have had nothing but tacomas for years. They are always camping offloading in NH/Maine and the trucks are used as trucks. The tacos seem to take a beating and keep going.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
not real big on gassers anymore around these hill billy parts, but i cant give my opinion on diesels
Ford
7.3 pretty much unbreakable stock,little chip still be fine,decent fuel mileage
6.0 dont touch unless its "Bullet proofed" after that strong truck
dodge
any 5.9 will outlast the truck, more prone to rust, trans will go at some point,good fuel mileage
chevy
very bad in cold weather, 6.6 is strong motor , trans not to sure,fuel is awful on the 09 i drove over the summer

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you ever had a pickup?

based on what you said, i would entirely rule out a diesel.

I'd definitely NOT get a single cab, the extra cab space is very handy for traveling. I'd also lean toward a compact, like a tacoma or ranger. Get some proper wheels/tires and air down on the beach and you'll go anywhere!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Have you ever had a pickup?

based on what you said, i would entirely rule out a diesel.

I'd definitely NOT get a single cab, the extra cab space is very handy for traveling. I'd also lean toward a compact, like a tacoma or ranger. Get some proper wheels/tires and air down on the beach and you'll go anywhere!

+1

I would consider a tacoma. Other than rust issues on some years, I don't know of any real major problems with them. They are great all-around trucks. They go pretty much anywhere, get decent mpg's for a truck, have decent driving manners, etc. Very capable. I am not sure how much they can tow, but it doesn't sound like you really need a tow rig.

Some of the rangers are bullet proof as well. You could probably find one for pretty cheap.

Last edited:

96 cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys! I've owned a small suv or two, but know enough friends w/ pickups to make somewhat of an informed decision.

Regarding diesels... I don't need the hauling capacity and the truck would see maybe 5-7.5k miles/yr, the fuel costs wouldn't come close to breaking even. Narrowed down the options to a Ranger, tacoma & possibly a chevy 1500. I figure I should be able to get a 2010-2011 with 55-75k miles, and 1-2 prior owners. The plan is to get a soft cap and maybe an above-bed tent setup.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the info guys! I've owned a small suv or two, but know enough friends w/ pickups to make somewhat of an informed decision.

Regarding diesels... I don't need the hauling capacity and the truck would see maybe 5-7.5k miles/yr, the fuel costs wouldn't come close to breaking even. Narrowed down the options to a Ranger, tacoma & possibly a chevy 1500. I figure I should be able to get a 2010-2011 with 55-75k miles, and 1-2 prior owners. The plan is to get a soft cap and maybe an above-bed tent setup.

Sounds like a good start. I've had 2 rangers, and driven several other family rangers. Always good little trucks that just keep on keepin on!

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Tacoma. Best truck out there for what you are looking for. Super reliable trucks, decent mpg, RARELY break down, look great, great 4x4 system, good transmissions, will last longer than most people in 3rd world countries.

My brother in law has a first Gen tacoma with 298k miles with everything original and he uses it for work, day to day stuff, and to go off road.
I have a fourth (?) gen pickup right before the Tacoma and it also handles like a top. Toyota really knows how to make these smaller trucks. I'd choose a Toyota truck over any other small truck.

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Have you thought about a Frontier? Solid trucks and at that price point you can get a really good one. I had an '11 SV 4X4 and it was flawless.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
RARELY break down,

but when they do...

235941d1380830175-frame-replaced-toyota_rust-frame_broken.jpg

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
didnt they have a frame recall on the tacoma's due to frames snapping because of rust?

Users who are viewing this thread