Picking up my lightning tomorrow a few questions.

roberthamm

Established Member
Hello there lightning dudes. I will soon myself be a lightning dude. I am going to pick up my lightning tomorrow and I have a few questions!

I am trading my 1991 built fox body + $8500 for the truck and want to make sure I know what to look for before actually handing over the title and the check.

Here is some details about the truck.

2001 Lightning
120k miles
5k on the motor Motor was replaced in Feburary with a Promar Racing Engine with reciepts

5.4 long block
Forged Ford Racing crankshaft
Forged Scat H beam rods
Forged Keith Black pistons
Ported PI heads
New stock size cams
3 way valve job with stainless valves
New injectors
Stock lower intake, intercooler, and blower
Pacesetter longtubes

From what I have seen in the pictures the truck is in great shape. Only a couple small scratches and there is a hole in the drivers side seat.

So what are some common things I should look out for or some red flags to make me walk away from the deal?

Pic:
548230_10151069022105723_1750640080_n.jpg

Last edited:

2001SVTTRUCK

Established Member
What's your car worth to you? Car + $8500 sounds steep for 120k miles. It looks clean in the picture. Drivers seat usually gets worn from entering and exiting. Few questions that come to mind are: Why is the guy selling? He did just put a motor in it, I'd want to keep it for a while. What happened to the old motor? Has any work been done to the trans? Take it for a test drive and make sure it runs right, normal driving and WOT.

baja5bss

Established Member
Hey bud,if you can,bring the truck to my house tomorrow after i get off work,around 5:30pm and I can look it over.I have a 02 that I know like the back of my hand so I shouldnt have a problem spotting the bad/good.I live in hazelwood/florissant.So if you want to stop by shoot me a pm and I will shoot you my addy.It looks to be in good condition,the only thing i see wrong is the pace setter headers,they are the bottom of the chain as far as quality,at the very least I would put obx on it.If you have any questions about anything feel free to shoot me a pm.

roberthamm

Established Member
The truck was originally owned since new by a lady in Florida and still has every single reciept for anything done to the truck.

The kid I got it from was 20 and had the truck since 7/2011 and the motor bent a connecting rod in februrary. His aunt bought the motor for him so it wasn't like he was losing out on the money of the new motor. He wanted to get rid of it to get out of a payment which he couldnt afford anymore.

I ended up keeping the fox and paying $12k for it. The truck runs and drives perfectly but it still needs tuned for the new motor as when it gets high in boost it get's way to rich (has wideband installed).

The only things bad I have found so far is the clear coat on the passenger mirror needs redone and he said he can get it done for free when his dads transam goes in for paint, rips in the drivers seat, the on off switch for the cruise control is not there and covered with tape, and the backlights on the gauges don't work but he installed lights that shine there so I can see at night.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Just drive it and make sure everything feels good.(tranny, brakes, make sure it handles good, all the electrical windows/locks/CC, etc works properly) My L has going on 115K miles and it runs great. It's a F150 so it's a well built vehicle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread