Picking my wife's ST up this afternoon

Colleton

Established Member
We're picking it up at 5 PM this afternoon. It's an ST2, Tangerine Scream, with moonroof and nav. TS/black Recaros.

We test drove it on Saturday and were very pleased with it. We have a 2008 MKV GTI, and the ST handles better (no torque steer that I noticed), has more power and has a nicer interior. With Sync, myFord Touch and Nav it certainly has a better electronics suite. I think Ford knocked it out of the park with this one.

I really liked the handling and steering feel. It just felt connected. My wife was digging it pretty well, and I think she's really going to enjoy this car. It's just a fun car to drive and will be a nice DD for her.

Hopefully she'll let me drive it every now and then... :rockon:

aaandht

Established Member
Way to go. Good luck! I hope to get one by the end of the year. Just one tip, have the dealer tighten up the intercooler hose clamps. Some of the early purchases had issues with the IC piping popping off. However I heard that this has been fixed, so it might be a non-issue.

Colleton

Established Member
No pics today, we didn't get out of there until dusk and it's raining. Sorry, will take some pics on a sunny day soon.

Initial thoughts:

1. It is really a fun car to drive. The steering and handling is spot on.
2. The cockpit feels a bit like a spaceship, lots of unfamiliar controls (at least to me).
3. Not too sure about the Recaros. The bolsters are DEEP, and the seats are hard to get in and out of. They sure hold you in place though.
4. The shift lever is about an inch too tall for me, and the throws are fairly long. The shifts are very smooth and easy to perform.
5. The Sony sound system is pretty awesome. Trunk subwoofer is nice.
6. 2 USB ports + video input jacks.
7. The car likes to go fast (I can tell these things). It's a hot little car.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
No pics today, we didn't get out of there until dusk and it's raining. Sorry, will take some pics on a sunny day soon.

Initial thoughts:

1. It is really a fun car to drive. The steering and handling is spot on.
2. The cockpit feels a bit like a spaceship, lots of unfamiliar controls (at least to me).
3. Not too sure about the Recaros. The bolsters are DEEP, and the seats are hard to get in and out of. They sure hold you in place though.
4. The shift lever is about an inch too tall for me, and the throws are fairly long. The shifts are very smooth and easy to perform.
5. The Sony sound system is pretty awesome. Trunk subwoofer is nice.
6. 2 USB ports + video input jacks.
7. The car likes to go fast (I can tell these things). It's a hot little car.

Nice. Are the intercooler pipes plastic, rubber, or metal?

Colleton

Established Member
So, I drove it to work today. The simplest thing to say is that I was impressed. Lots of power when you get on it, and the handling/steering feel is wonderful. It doesn't have near the power my GT500 did, but then again, not many cars do. :)

The car has a very euro feel to it, and is much nicer than our MKV GTI, inside and out. I really like the feel of the shifter in this car, shifting is smooth and effortless.

Hit 32.6 mpg on the highway portion of my commute, dropped back to 27.5 once I was on city streets again. Very nice.

At this point I like everything about the car except the Recaros. I'm 6'1" and weigh 185, so I'm not fat, but those damned seats are still too narrow for me. Also, the side bolsters are so deep that getting into and out of the car gracefully is a major undertaking. A fairly minor thing, and something I'm sure I'll get used to.

Users who are viewing this thread