Picked up some Race Stars... what tires?

Badlilstang

Established Member
I picked up some 17x7 for the front and 15x10 for the rear.. car has a slight drop of 1.2".. current 20x10.5" wheels are 28.1" tall with tires and tuck fine so I hope these do as well. What do you guys recommed? I need something I can slap on and drive to the track to enjoy as well as weekend fun. Also not sure what sizes look good for the fronts. I appreciate any pictures.. been searching all morning but very few pics actually tell what size tires they are using.

imeyers302

Established Member
Not to change subject but what size tires are you running with the Velgens. I am looking to pick up a set of VMB5s also and am wondering if a 305 tire will fit back there with them or do I need to stick to a 295. I am on Steeda sports which I think is a 1.5inch drop in back.

Badlilstang

Established Member
Not to change subject but what size tires are you running with the Velgens. I am looking to pick up a set of VMB5s also and am wondering if a 305 tire will fit back there with them or do I need to stick to a 295. I am on Steeda sports which I think is a 1.5inch drop in back.

I run the Nitto Invo 295.. It's really close with these wheels. There is a newer Nitto NT555 G2 out that is a 295 but measure a hair wider.. that might be your best bet. It's probably what I will run if I don't decide to daily these Race Stars. I have an old Dodge Neon that only needs a radiator.. I gotta get that thing running again to keep the miles off my car!

Badlilstang

Established Member
I am pretty much set on the 275/60R15 for the rears... Having a hell of a time figuring out what I want for the fronts.. 225/50R17 I have seen looks good but 2" lower height vs rear.. which might be ok.. I mean it looks good in pics..

Front options I have seen..

225/50R17 25.9" tall
225/55R17 26.7" tall
255/50R17 27" tall
215/60R17 27.2" tall

Last edited:

KG145.0

Established Member
FYI.... I run a 305 35 20 Micky thompson drag radial on my VMB5 and lowered on steeda ultralight springs.. no rub

Badlilstang

Established Member
After looking at pics I have narrowed it down to two size... 225/55r17 and 215/60r17... The 215/60 gives more of a skinny look from the side but the 225/55r17 gives more width and a little less height... can't make up my mind.. lol

Because of the better selection of tires I think the 225/55R17 is the winner for me.

Last edited:

Badlilstang

Established Member

Yeah, nothing really on what to use for the 17x7.. I have the rears figured out.. The 555R is the closest thing to what looks like a regular tire I can find and the price is right. I know there are better options but this will work for what I need it to do.. might go with a more aggressive tire later on.. not sure how much I plan to daily these just yet.

Badlilstang

Established Member
Made my mind up on 225/55r17 for the front with 275/60r15 for the rear.. can someone give me some input on what front tire brands look good on race stars? I am looking into the Nitto Motivo tires for the fronts and of course 555R on the rear.

eekkaann

Established Member
How is this working for you?
Im interested in a 17/15 set up for my GT. Its lowered on eibach springs... Do you daily drive yours? I dont do a lot of track so mine is mostly going to be used for the streets. Love the looks and the extra grip is always welcomed but maby its not god for a DD?

TheBorkinator

Established Member
Hey guys this topic is very similar to questions I have. I'm going 15x10 rear this summer in my manual Paxton car. I'm pretty sure the MT ET Street Radial Pro is the right tire for the rear (https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadialPro)

I'm working on finding the correct front tire. I'm not going to be running skinnies as this is more street opposed to strip. I'll be running 19 inch wheels as I have Brembos and I don't think smaller wheels will clear. Likely looking at a 255/40/19 street tire. Would that be a mistake?

Users who are viewing this thread