Picked up my first Fox, NEED HELP PLEASE!

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
hey guys, managed to score this 93 LX today, the outside is in great condition but there are a few things mechanically I want to ask about. I have had several mustangs however this is my first fox. Here is a photo of the car:
IMG_2572_zpsaffaaf9a.jpg

Here are my questions. First of all, someone put in a junk steeda clutch quadrant and a firewall adjuster, which I have a similar setup on my 96 Cobra, however, on the fox the cable rubs and cathes the inner wall of the adjuster on the inside of the car making it a real bitch to drive. Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any other products that do not bind like so? I will go back stock if I need to.

Also, the car makes a sgueak/squeal/groan under hard acceleration (for the whole duration of the acceleration) in the first few gears and sometimes on hard bumps. Is this a common problem for foxes? does anyone have a clue what it could be? I considered it could be the quad shocks and I pray it isn't the rear gears (4.10's). any ideas?

Other than that the car is quite solid aside from some minor issues like Ebrake and a few electrical issues which is expected for a 20 year old car I payed $5G for. I really appreciate the help guys, everyone is always helpful here.

Andrew

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Not sure about your firewall adjuster. I have some cheap off brand and don't have any issues with mine. Maybe something is not aligned correctly.

As for the groan, that is not normal. Since it happens on acceleration and when hitting large bumps, when there is a tendancy for your foot to push the throttle some, I would guess gears.

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
Right, but you think it would make some noise just cruising. It will cruise all day at 70 and not make a sound. no gear whine or anything. which made me believe it could be something else. the shocks look ancient and I cannot find a brand (haven't taken it to my shop to lift it up yet) they might possibly be the originals. the odo is at 78,xxx and I don't think its 178,xxx

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
quadrant problem isn't normal. I have a steeda setup on mine and it works perfect. Check all the attachment points, something isn't aligned properly.

Not sure what the groan could be...gears typically whine, groaning sounds more like a rub? Are the rear tires hitting the exhaust? The quad shocks? Sounds like something is making contact. Jack up the rear and look for marks where they shouldn't be.

I'd also replace the shocks/struts. For now, you can get a set of in-expensive KYB's and they'll work fine until you can decide which direction you want to take the car.

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
Took the quadrant out, its not a Steeda, it's a Gripp (BBK?). and the firewall adjuster isn't marked. I'm going to go with the same setup in my Cobra which is a steeda kit. hopefully that will work.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Mike is right. They do typically whine. However, they usually make a noise either accelerating or decelerating, not both. Without hearing it, it is hard to diagnose. Maybe the shocks are so worn that when you accelerate the back squats a little more than normal and something is rubbing.

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
Update:

Okay, figured out the noise, it turned out to be that the E-brake bracket weld broke and every time I pull the E brake it pulls the bracket down, touching the drive shaft. When you let the brake down, the bracket stays, and rubs the drive shaft under acceleration and bumps. apparently it can be a common problem on these? Since the car is lowered, that brings the shaft that much closer to the cables. I used self tapping screws to hold it back in place (cant be seen under the console) and so far so good!

As far as the quadrant and all, it rubs at the top of the hole in the firewall adjuster and is centered side to side it seems. It's not a Steeda unit, it turned out to be a BBK unit so ive got SR performance (looks just like Steeda) parts coming hopefully the hole will be larger and let the cable clear.

Users who are viewing this thread