Picked up my black coupe today -- YEEHAW! Love this car!!! (Initial observations)

Venom Lover

Established Member
To summarize with a smily (or is the singular smilie?): :D I love this car!

[Sorry this ended up getting long, BTW. I guess I'm excited!]

Ok, so first I can't believe I'm a Ford guy now. If you had told me a year ago I would buy a Ford (other than a Lightning), I would've told you you're FOS. Now look!

Second, kudos to Don Kott Ford in Carson. They sold for MSRP with no hassle whatsover (i.e., no BS up front about 5 or 10K over -- I came in, said will you sell at MSRP, they said yes right away, and wrote an agreement saying they would sell at MSRP). And they honored the deal fully without trying to add prep charges or any other charges at the end. I believe they are totally no BS, but we shall see as time progresses.

I had two little problems with the condition of the car: small gouge on rim of left rear wheel, and slightly cut right rear tire. (Oddly enough, the car showed no signs of abuse -- the tires were otherwise pristine-- so it looked like it happened when the car was unloaded from the truck.) The dealer wrote a work order to replace the wheel and tire for free as soon as they could get them in. If they follow through, I will say they were very honorable and accommodating.

Now as far as performance....this car is awesome, especially when you consider the price. I used to own a 2001 Z06, and I believe the '03 Cobra pulls as hard as it did. The low end torque is amazing! Consider this: the dyno on my '01 Z06 (which I left bone stock) was 335 rwhp and 338 rwtq, with 290 rwtq at 2000 rpm (all SAE). Compare that with '03 dyno numbers I've been seeing: 360 rwhp and 345 rwtq, with 300 rwtq at 2000 rpm. No wonder this car feels like it hauls A S S off the line: it has more low-end torque than a Z06! And as far as peak power-to-weight ratios: figure 10.1 lbs/rwhp for the Z06 (3130 lbs + 250 lbs driver and gas) vs. 10.8 lbs/rwhp for the Cobra (3640 lbs + 250). Looks like they're within 7% of each other. And from what we're seeing, the modification potential for the Cobra is enormous -- certainly way more horsepower per dollar than you can get with mods for the Z06. This is very exciting.

I am scheduling my own dyno run for this week. Gotta do it soon to get a bone stock baseline, 'cuz I know the catback will be going on as soon as I can buy the parts!!! :-D

I really am dying for a decent exhaust system. I can hear the motor in there wishing it could roar! I don't know that I want to wait for the Bassani system for the '03. Do we know whether the Bassani '01 Cobra X-pipe will work with the long-tube headers they're building for the '03? Probably not.... :(

Photos, dyno numbers, and time slips will soon be forthcoming!

Hammer

Established Member
Much congrats, VL.

Welcome to the world of blue oval. Once you go blue, you NEVER go back.

Aaaaah...there's nothing better than a convert.

Best of luck with the new baby.

:beer:

Black Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Venom Lover
I really am dying for a decent exhaust system. I can hear the motor in there wishing it could roar! I don't know that I want to wait for the Bassani system for the '03. Do we know whether the Bassani '01 Cobra X-pipe will work with the long-tube headers they're building for the '03? Probably not.... :(

Congrats on the new car.

Like someone pointed out to me (hehe), the long tubes being...well... "long", won't work with the stock or any after market H/X pipe. If you go with long-tube headers you'll need a short section of pipe between the L/Ts and the Cat-Backs. MAC has something called a "Pro Chamber" for their L/Ts.
longtubePC.jpg

MS KWIK

Established Member
Congrats Mike, I am extremely jealous!!! No word on the status of my car, I thought it would be delivered on Monday :gt:. Glad to hear that it compares to the Z06, because I thought that car was awesome, one of the fastest cars I've ever owned! Maybe today will be my lucky day and the dealer will call...........

Shelley

KingKobra

Established Member
Yea, I got my Black Coupe on Monday... I am completely in love with this car. I would like to hear more exhaust sound, but then again... it's like a sleeper... many people just don't know how much torque these things have, and that makes it even better.

Cheers! :beer:

eddy z

Established Member
congrats on the car.. I ma glad you are happy with it since you owend other muscle cars....

I agree this car has so much to offer...

Venom Lover

Established Member
Thanks for the congrats, everybody!

KingKobra,
I also appreciate the sleeper quality of this car. Personally, I'm not sure I'd know how to tell an '01 and '03 Cobra apart from the outside. (I know that's probably sacrilege here!) I've already had the opportunity to play with some ricers and sportbike guys -- it's fun to see the look on their faces when the outcome is not what they expect! :cryying:

Shelley,
I hope you get the car soon! We need to hook up for lunch again!

Hammer,
I think Ford is really turning themselves around. They seem to be in a similar position to where Chrysler was in the late '80s: lots of great products coming out and coming out of a bad slump. Personally, I don't have loyalty to any one manufacturer. My kudos (and criticism) go to whoever makes a good (bad) product. Right now, Ford has got me to the point where I want a GT-40 instead of an SRT Viper (in my fantasy scenario), because the GT-40 is an overall better car, based on what we know about it so far. I hope they follow through with products like the GT-40. They certainly stepped up to the plate with the '03 Cobra!

Users who are viewing this thread