Picked up a Trailblazer SS

Blue03

Established Member
Man, this winter is getting long in the tooth about now! I picked up a Trail Blazer SS a couple of weeks back and just love it. I wish Ford would have made an SVT Explorer with the '03 Cobra engine in it. The SS has the 395hp 6.0 in it. I bought a 2wd, didn't want the extra expense and mpg loss with AWD. If we keep getting only 1 or 2 snows a year it won't matter anyway. Anyone going to Autorama next week?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
nice ride, Rich....we can both race our 6 liters now! :thumbsup:

I might go to Autorama; when are you guys going?

Last edited:

Blue03

Established Member
JB said:
nice ride, Rich....we can both race our 6 liters now! :thumbsup:

I might go to Autorama; when are you guys going?

Thanks JB. I will give you a ride in it next time I see you, let me know what you think. It's a cool truck, again makes me thing out loud why Ford isn't doing something similar. We were going to go to Autorama Sunday morning at 9am. Mopar actually asked me if I wanted to work the Performance booth Saturday but I had to pass. When we go I am going to stop in over there for a minute anyway. I know Chip Foose has some stuff going with Mopar so we might get a chance to meet him. The plan was to meet at my place and we will caravan down there. If anyone wants to go no problem, post up, let's do it. Lunch afterwards.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Rich, congrats on the purchase. Those seem like sweet trucks.
I'm thinking of getting an SUV that can tow, has a warranty, still fun etc.
Just looking for now but I've been researching '04-05 Aviators and the SS.
Looks like the Avi is like $25k or so. My grandfather is a retired GM employee and he can get an extra $1000 off whatever is the best rebates, any idea what an SS would run?
-J

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
They do look nice. How do they get it to weigh 6001 lbs, must be full of stuff. My big heavy truck listed lighter than that. Enjoy it.

Thinking peppy SUV when my lease is up. Maybe Jeep SRT8 or an SS but only cuz I get GM discount. Pissed at Ford for not having anything in the segment.

Shelby motor in a SportTrac would do nice

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
postban said:
...How do they get it to weigh 6001 lbs, must be full of stuff.

:dw:

it weighs 4496....4663 for the AWD

6001 is the GVWR

Last edited:

Blue03

Established Member
Sorry guys, been off the board for a couple of days. Thanks for all the comments. I will give you the story on why I bought this one. Ford didn't have anything like it so that took them out of the running. Jeep SRT-8, looked at those but the 44K + price tag, 12 mpg and 3500 max towing took the steam out of my sails there. I got the SS with the GM discount for $31500 out the door with zero percent for 60 and $500 bonus cash. It is a 2wd with cloth interior. The mpg on this thing is rated 15/19 and I can tell you it gets every bit of that when you drive it sanely. It is rated to tow 6800lbs and I can tell you I feel confident it would with no problem. It should run a 13.9/100mph quarter and I will find out when the weather breaks. The Jeep is faster by about 1/2 sec/4mph but a few small mods will make that up without getting inside the motor. Runs very strong, the trans upshifts at 6500rpm, essentially a Corvette dressed in a heavier SUV body(JB has the weights correct). It handles and brakes outstanding. Driving it is really nice, very responsive. I will bring it out to one of our get togethers and you guys can check it out and see what you think.

Last edited:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Blue03 said:
...snip... I got the SS with the GM discount for $31500 out the door with zero percent for 60 and $500 bonus cash. ...snip...

I also get the GM employee plan but would need the AWD/4WD to haul into my hunting areas, not interested in the 2wd.
Might be able to pull in a DCX Discount through a buddy at work. 6.1 HEMI is a heck of a motor, 420/420. Cam is worth 80hp so I hear. Ls2 is a good mill. Still got a year to decide.

Blue03

Established Member
postban said:
I also get the GM employee plan but would need the AWD/4WD to haul into my hunting areas, not interested in the 2wd.
Might be able to pull in a DCX Discount through a buddy at work. 6.1 HEMI is a heck of a motor, 420/420. Cam is worth 80hp so I hear. Ls2 is a good mill. Still got a year to decide.

The AWD is good, I drove one of those. If you have a need for it then it's worth it. In my case I just didn't. The 6.1 is a runner, no doubt. The main thing that kept me from it was the price difference. If you opt for AWD on the SS it adds about $2500 above what I paid, still a solid $10k cheaper than the SRT-8 Cherokee. I like both trucks, not downing either one of them. In fact it's nice to be able to have the choice. I just don't understand why Ford went to sleep on this one. An SVT Explorer with an '03 Cobra drivetrain would have been awesome. Priced right I would have bought that. Hate to say it but the Chevy really does run nice overall. Go drive one if you get a chance. The LS-2 is impressive, no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread