Picked up a GT....

Longtubes

Established Member
Ok so its a 97, really good shape with some bolt ons and loud exhaust. The guy said the car has a performance chip in it, which leads me to believe it was chipped awhile back when that was the popular thing before tuners.

Thats all I know about it. Should I assume it's on a 93 tune and run 93 octane, or just do 87? And what about if I would get a tuner sometime for it with it already being chipped?

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
No you should not run 87. Good way to really eff things up doing that if it is tuned for 93. I'd pull the kick panel and at least see if the previous owner was at least telling the truth about it having one for starters. Personally myself I always run 93 in any performance oriented car tuned or untuned.

If you were to eventually buy a handheld for it the chip would need to be removed.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
ask the guy you bought it from which octane it's tuned for.

and yeah, buy a handheld tuner for it and remove that "chip".

Longtubes

Established Member
Thats the thing, he never said what it was tuned for. I assumed 91-93 and started using 93 octane exclusively. Car seems great, has power and no problems that I can see. And right on about removing the chip, rather tune it with a tuner myself.

spike_africa

Established Member
Check and see if it is even chipped. Pull the passenger kickpanel ECU is right there. Unbolt the ecu and look for the chip. It will be stuck onto the ecu sticking out of the service port.

Users who are viewing this thread