Picked up a 2.3 Whipple now for the supporting mods! Looking for suggestions!

Teddy-T99

Established Member
Well like the title says, I picked up a gen 1 2.3 whipple w/ a 3.0 pulley from another forum member and now I need to purchase all of the supporting mods. Here is a list of performance parts on the car so far:

Bassani Catted X-pipe
Stock Manifolds
Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back
MGW Orange Handle
JLT Cold air intake

Parts Im looking at and would like opinions:
SCT BA2400 or SCT BA2600 or SCT BA3000?? (have access to a BA3000)
60lb Injectors
Stock pumps w/ Boost-A-Pump OR Dual GT Pumps??
Snub Idler 90MM or 100MM?
D&D 26 spline Input shaft
Spec 3+ Clutch

All said and done im looking to hit the 600hp mark. If you guys could give me pulley combos, and supporting mod recommendations it would be greatly appreciated! Maybe even just post you build list w/ HP and TQ numbers if you are running a 2.3 whipple. Also, any do's and dont's are very appreciated!

Thanks in advance for the guidance and help!

Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Spec 3+ will work just fine, not everyone can ball up for a Mcloed...however, get the Spec 3+ WITH soft pedal option Lethal has them I dont think they are listed though.

If it were me, if you can afford it, go with a return fuel setup fwiw.

mach1033

Established Member
91 or 93 octane? BAP is all you need if your keeping it at 600. 60's are a must. The ba 3000 will work fine. The exhaust system you have is fine. Spec 3+ is great. I cracked the 600 mark with the stock TB so if you have a single I'm sure it will be better.

cobracide

Established Member
Well like the title says, I picked up a gen 1 2.3 whipple w/ a 3.0 pulley from another forum member and now I need to purchase all of the supporting mods. Here is a list of performance parts on the car so far:

Bassani Catted X-pipe
Stock Manifolds
Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back
MGW Orange Handle
JLT Cold air intake

Parts Im looking at and would like opinions:
SCT BA2400 or SCT BA2600 or SCT BA3000?? (have access to a BA3000)
60lb Injectors
Stock pumps w/ Boost-A-Pump OR Dual GT Pumps??
Snub Idler 90MM or 100MM?
D&D 26 spline Input shaft
Spec 3+ Clutch

All said and done im looking to hit the 600hp mark. If you guys could give me pulley combos, and supporting mod recommendations it would be greatly appreciated! Maybe even just post you build list w/ HP and TQ numbers if you are running a 2.3 whipple. Also, any do's and dont's are very appreciated!

Thanks in advance for the guidance and help!

Add a 4# lower/3.5", works well with the 2.3L Whipple (+torque). Octane? Or.. with the 3.0" ring with a stock lower. ~17#.

Last edited:

Teddy-T99

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. Just following up on some of the questions asked of me, I'm going to be running 91 octane. Also, I forgot to mention I have a LFP sbtb. What are your thoughts on a diablo MAFia? I'm building my dream car but also work w/ a budget :) for now anyways. I'm itching to get the car back on the road!! Thanks again guys!

Teddy-T99

Established Member
Add a 4# lower/3.5", works well with the 2.3L Whipple (+torque). Octane? Or.. with the 3.0" ring with a stock lower. ~17#.

At 17lbs of boost and pump 91 my guess is 560 rwhp.

You think running a 2.75 w/ the stock lower on 91 octane will get me to the 600 mark?

Another issue I would like to keep in mind is longevity of the supercharger for example I know the guys running KB 2.2's love to run them at 20+ psi resulting in a louder 'scream' but this also will be the death of the supercharger over time. Some guys run them at 18psi and they will last the lifetime of the car. What is the safest and highest psi I can run on my whipple to hopefully get the longest life out of it? In my mind I'm hoping to figure out a pulley combo that will get me about 19psi and 600hp on 91 octane.

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
You think running a 2.75 w/ the stock lower on 91 octane will get me to the 600 mark?

Another issue I would like to keep in mind is longevity of the supercharger for example I know the guys running KB 2.2's love to run them at 20+ psi resulting in a louder 'scream' but this also will be the death of the supercharger over time. Some guys run them at 18psi and they will last the lifetime of the car. What is the safest and highest psi I can run on my whipple to hopefully get the longest life out of it? In my mind I'm hoping to figure out a pulley combo that will get me about 19psi and 600hp on 91 octane.

I seriously doubt any tuner is gonna suggest 19lbs on pump 91. But trust me 560 rwhp is no joke. It will Def put a smile on your face. Now if your dead set on hitting 600 and this isn't your DD then you can always add a can of torco to the mix. I ran torco for two years at 21lbs of boost with my 2.3 whipple. Made 642 and I still had the stock TB. I was in boost a lot of those two years as well. Motor and SC was fine. Pulley combo was 3.0 upper and 4lb lower.

64comet

Established Member
I would do the GT pumps and dual FPDM. Had the boost a pump for a while and really didn't have any issues with it, just didn't totally trust it. Would at least be something to think about later down the road.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I made 605/556 on 91 octane at 17psi with SCT2400, 60lb injectors, BAP. I upgraded to dual GT pumps and dual FPDM's just for piece of mind.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
-3.5" upper, 4 or 6 lb lower, I can't remember.
-JLT RAI intake
-Accufab TB
-MAC LT's, catted H, magnaflow catback

It was a cool night when I last had it in the rollers and I saw 17.5 psi of boost.

64comet

Established Member
I made 605/556 on 91 octane at 17psi with SCT2400, 60lb injectors, BAP. I upgraded to dual GT pumps and dual FPDM's just for piece of mind.

Almost the exact same numbers and setup I had when I ran mine on the dyno. I upgraded the fuel system for the same reason, just didn't totally trust the BAP and the stock pumps. One of these days I'll get around to running it on a dyno again with the 2lb lower I added along with the newer fuel setup.

Last edited:

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
gen 2 @18psi (3.0 upper stock lower) longtubes, twin gt's, 80's, single modded FPDM, sct 2800, stock intake with a k&n filter...612/560 on 93...duty cycle is 84%

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

This is about right as far as numbers go. My wifes 2.3 ( 3.50/4lb lower) made about the same at RET on 91

Last edited:

Teddy-T99

Established Member
This is about right as far as numbers go. My wifes 2.3 ( 3.50/4lb lower) made about the same at RET on 91

Sounds like I need to hang on to the 3.5 pulley that I got w/ the blower too. So sounds like the general consensus is 3.5 / 4lb FTW! haha. I have the SCT BA3000 locked down now all I need is the Spec 3+ (w/ soft pedal option thanks AIRASSAULT13F0 for the heads up) and a BAP for now. Will upgrade the pumps in the future

matt87

Established Member
full length subframe connectors? a full tilt boogie equipped irs?? i wouldnt dream of having 600 rwhp w/o those being done.

Users who are viewing this thread