Picked up a '02 SVTF today..

spyderman

Established Member
You guys got me excited about one these as a dd, so I started looking last week. I had found one in Florida that I was thinking about driving 9 hours to get, but on my way to get gas the other night night, I saw a nice red one at a mom and pop car lot. Couldn't believe it. Two owners and 140K miles. I had to get it. Because of the age of these cars, I am guessing they will be on these "buy here, pay here lots". I asked how much, she told me the price and assumed I was going to be a buyer that came by every two weeks paying on the car. I said "straight cash homie" and walked away paying 2 grand less than asking price.

The car is sports some pretty nice mods, HOWEVER, it's too much. Motorsport header, a slew of Steeda mods under the hood and eibach on each corner. with that said, the car is very loud for a dd and the ride is quite harsh. I am about to see whats up on Focaljet and focus fanatics. In the meantime, can you guys suggest what will quiet down this beast? Is it the header or the cat back?

Getting excited about this!

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Post pics, lots of pics. An SVT with a non-stock header is extremely rare, I'd almost bet it's the stocker because it's a really nice piece and is commonly mistaken for aftermarket.

First things first, replace the timing belt!!! If you don't know when it was last replaced and the car has 140k on it I wouldn't even drive it until the belt was done.

Does it have a cat on it? What exhaust, is the rear muffler cut out of the stock system.

Focaljet has a great community for these cars.

-Steve

spyderman

Established Member
That just goes to show you how new I am to the Foci game. The header looks massive. Planning on taking pics this weekend for sure. I just hope the springs in there aren't stock with the stiff ride. I'm gonna try and find some FRPP springs, hopefully they will allow a smoother ride.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
This is a stock SVT header, it was designed by Cosworth just for this car.

This is actually a lightly modded header that FRPP used to sell, yours won't have the EGR bung on it like this one does.

M9430ZX3L_a.gif

As for your rough ride, what color springs are on the car now?

-Steve

spyderman

Established Member
Yeah, it looks similar to that with a Motorsport badge. My springs are red. It's going in a lift this weekend. I looked at some write ups and the timing belt looks a little challenging. I can work on pushrod mustangs all day long, however I have never really dove into a dohc.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Yeah, it looks similar to that with a Motorsport badge. My springs are red. It's going in a lift this weekend. I looked at some write ups and the timing belt looks a little challenging. I can work on pushrod mustangs all day long, however I have never really dove into a dohc.

Yup, you have aftermarket springs which give a nice drop but can be quite harsh.

As for the header, does yours appear to be ceramic coated? The stock one would be bare stainless and typically have a pretty weathered appearance.

Seriously, get the belt done unless the belt, tensioner and idler are obviously brand new because the SVT is an interference engine and if that belt jumps or sheds a couple teeth the engine will be toast.

We've got the parts to do the job for about $132.00 plus shipping.

-Steve

Garrett

Let me know if you end up finding adjustable struts on that thing that you dont want (because they are too harsh or whatever). Id be happy to take them off your hands :)

spyderman

Established Member
Well, just got back from having the car on the lift. Not too bad being a 10 year old car. I never thought I'd ever say this but I'll be taming down this car a bit. Has sportline springs, adj struts/shocks and steeda motor mounts, fswerks exhaust, etc, etc. keep in mind I had no idea about svtf's prior to the purchase so I learned quite a bit today. So I'll be re-doing the exhaust and putting on a commuter friendly spring. Steve, I will be calling you very soon for the timing belt kit as well as the countor t-stat housing and a few other things!

Garrett

Yea like on my autocross focus! Sell them to me :) Hell I can trade you my stock setup for your aftermarket one!

Users who are viewing this thread