Pic of notched hood for blower

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
Here is a pic of where I notched the hood liner and a piece of the fiberglass. Using the template provided by KB, I first traced the pattern onto the hood liner (I purchased a new hood liner so that I would not have to cut the original) and using a dremmel, cut just the liner. I then marked along that cut onto the hood itself. Next I took the entire liner off to cut the fiberglass. I am keeping the fiberglass cut-out in case I ever want to put the car back to original shape. Actually the original hood liner will cover up the notched section. If I had to do it over again, I would have not used the exact template. I would have slightly rounded the corners to match the other stock cut-outs. Using the dremmel, it was a very easy process.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Nice, surprised you didn't have to do it in the front, looks like it sites really high for the mid-hood line in the front.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
Great job!!

If you want to evacuate some of that added heat, remove the rubber weather stripping at the rear of the engine compartment.

It will leave a ¼ space for the engine heat to escape; you won’t believe how much of a difference it makes.

If you do it.......when driving put your outside vent on and it will feel like you have the heater on!!

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
Booyah said:
Nice, surprised you didn't have to do it in the front, looks like it sites really high for the mid-hood line in the front.

Fortunately the 98 Cobra hood has that buble between the twin scoops. The first time I test drove it I was taking it easy. When I got it home I popped the hood to check for any problems and all was fine. The next time I took it out I got on it a little more...when I checked under the hood again I noticed a little thin impression about 1/2 long in the hood liner. It aligns with the very edge of the "snout pully" of the supercharger. I guess the ole engine is rising a little when I unleash the ponies and the pully is just making a little home for itself. The hood liner on the 98's are actually quite thick. In addition to the outside material there is a thich soft backing covered in an aluminum type material; there is plenty of room before it would hit the actual hood.

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
sLOWDOHC said:
Doesnt even really look like you notched the hood. Moreso the hood liner...

Basically correct....the only part of the fiberglass hood that is cut is the ribbing/bracing that goes around and sort of criss crosses the underneath side of the hood. Even where it is notched, there is some of the bracing that is not cut and keeps a continuous brace across the back of the hood.

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
OCSnk said:
Great job!!

If you want to evacuate some of that added heat, remove the rubber weather stripping at the rear of the engine compartment.

It will leave a ¼ space for the engine heat to escape; you won’t believe how much of a difference it makes.

If you do it.......when driving put your outside vent on and it will feel like you have the heater on!!

Never though about that. If I experience a heating problem I may give it a try. Fortunately the fan and heating systems on the 98's were improved over the 96-97's. Due to weather I have only test drove it twice. Each time I was listening closely for any detonation/engine problems and waching my temp guage. Even though I was not driving the hell out of it, I was doing a lot of stopping and starting....was enjoying the feeling of going sideways !! :burnout: ....the temp was the same as before adding the blower. I'll see what happens when I drive it in warmer weather.

I also realized the two small hood scoops are actually cut through to the bracing; I had always thought they were totally fake and solid. The notched section will now allow air flow to the top of the engine.

Last edited:

SnakeR

Established Member
Yell98CobraVert said:
I also realized the two small hood scoops are actually cut through to the bracing; I had always thought they were totally fake and solid. The notched section will now allow air flow to the top of the engine.

Interesting... anyone else purposely cut into the bracing for the extra cooling in places so that water won't be a hassle?

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
SnakeR said:
Interesting... anyone else purposely cut into the bracing for the extra cooling in places so that water won't be a hassle?

I'm curious now to look at the side I did not notch to see where the water actually goes. Personaly, I am not worried about it because I never drive it in the rain. Although I have no concerns with hurting the strength of the hood by cutting the notch on one side, I wonder if notching both sides would be a concern?

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
budguy1967 said:
I bet that car would breathe alot better if you rid of that stock intake tube.

I had a large K&N, but the articles on the KB website made sense to me. In short....engines do not like hot air....for every increase of heat there is a decrease of hp. Also, there were 2 huge warnings with the instructions stating that if you have an under the hood, exposed filter, the warranty is void.

What about in the fender filters/power pipes etc. Depends on the vehicle, some engines will resond favorably, others will not. Unfortunately my 98 Cobra is one of those vehicles where a different cold air system is not worth the $$$. I even talked with Jim Bell on the phone when I was ordering the supercharger and told him that money was not an issue with me...I just wanted whatever accessories would make a difference in the performance of my 98 Cobra. He said his (KB's) cold air kit or any other cold air system would not be worth the $$$$ on my car. So.... I pulled my old air canister off the shelf, cleaned it up, and put it back on. If I ever see the dyno proof where a new cold air system definately makes a difference on a KB propelled 98 Cobra, I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread