PI Swap Ques

CVR98GT

Audiophile Poster
Established Member
I need to know some of my other options for PI swap. I know the Ford Racing heads and intake are cheap, but what kind of hp gains can be expected? What would be an advantage to spending the extra cash on a bullitt intake manifold? Any other info would be appreciated.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Bullit intake flows a lot better than the PI gt intake, and isn't plastic so it could take a nice shot of n20. The heads make good gains (not sure how much) and BIG gains when you start talking power adders. I would put a pair of cams and a set of springs in them heads before you have them installed, because now would be the time to do it, and maybe have them worked on a bit. Can't tell ya how big of a gain though.

dalamar_96

Established Member
I think the Bullit intake is to expensive for the amount of HP you gain from it.
What 90 red said about it not being plastic is true, but
If you get it you also need a TB and inlet tube it adds up...

I've read a few articles where they tested the bullit intake - on a NA motor, the increase is minimal. It would be more with a blower, but still pretty costly.
plus you cant get any more air in your intake than you head ports can handle.

I did the PI with cams and gained 95 rwhp at Denver Elevation.
Heads are the place to start if you want to get more power out of your motor.
Got it here: www.powerheads.com
good luck

CVR98GT

Audiophile Poster
Established Member
Do you know if the basic kit is anything different from the Ford racing pi heads and intake? What was all included in your kit? Did you do the upgraded cam shaft too? Did you do the work yourself, or done by a shop? If so, what did they bill you for time?

Last edited:

dalamar_96

Established Member
CVR98GT said:
Do you know if the basic kit is anything different from the Ford racing pi heads and intake? What was all included in your kit? Did you do the upgraded cam shaft too? Did you do the work yourself, or done by a shop? If so, what did they bill you for time?

I'm not sure exactly what the Ford Racing PI head is, but the PI swap from Powerheads is the 01 Romeo head.
The intake is the stock 01 intake.
Here's the difference on the intakes:
intakesfront.jpg

The kit came with the heads/cams, 01 intake, all new nice gaskets, new headbolts and heater core tube. think thats it.

I upgraded to the Powerheads hot street cam. Gains a little HP, works well with a blower, and has a Sweet Ass idle lope.
if you're doing heads, you might as well do a different cam while your at it.
here's a clip if u wanna hear:

Startup after headswap
recient idle clip

I had my friend who works at ford help me with the installation. Inless your an experienced auto mechanic, I wouldn't recommend trying yourself. unless you can have your car down for days while you figure it out.
I gave my friend a few bucks for his time.
Shop rate will probably be about 1000 bucks. time, mostly.
we did mine in my garage. Then I trailered it to Denver for a dyno tune...

I did ported heads - if you get ported, you also need a dyno tune.
unported, you dont need to, but it will help.

If you have any more ?'s let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread