PI Swap And Supercharger

CVR98GT

Audiophile Poster
Established Member
If I do a Pi swap on my 98 GT, will that affect my plans for a kenne bell supercharger in any way?

00_blkgt

Established Member
poopnut2 said:
It'll effect your plans on how much boost to run. Your compression ratio will go up to 10:1:0 I believe.

It will definitely effect your plans to s/c. If you swap to the PI heads and leave the stock pistons in, the compression will be too high for a supercharger and it will run like shit. I had a friend who did the head swap and a s trim and after just a few months he sold the s/c because they never could get it tuned right. You can't run much boost or timing!!

CVR98GT

Audiophile Poster
Established Member
Would changing pistons before supercharging solve that issue? or should i skip the pi swap. I need power now, and want more power later....what should I do? :shrug:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Well, you're not gonna make power with the 98' heads so some type of headswap will be necessary. You could do the PI swap with a 100 shot and be fine. Or you could switch out the pistons with the heads and lower your compression. You'll still see a power gain on motor but you'll be ready to run more boost if you decide to super or turbocharge your car. If you're gonna do that, I suggest getting forged pistons, pistons rods, and maybe even a crank. The stock crank should be fine though unless you're looking for crazy power.

2Vsvtkiller

Established Member
I've done the same conversion you want. I used Ross Forged pistons to lower compression to 9:0:1. Eagle H beams, it really worth it. If your gonna do it don't to it half ass. Spend the money right and you be alot happier down the road. Good Luck

dalamar_96

Established Member
CVR98GT said:
Would changing pistons before supercharging solve that issue? or should i skip the pi swap. I need power now, and want more power later....what should I do? :shrug:
The PI headswap will give you power now. I did a ported swap with cams
on my 96 and gained 105 rwhp. thats pretty good

What Poopnut said is correct.

The PI heads will raise your compression a little bit, but they will also
flow more air which will give you a better output from you blower.
If you do ported heads you'll also need a chip and dyno tune.

You'll need a forged bottom end if you push over 450 hp.

I also wanted some power now, and cant afford to buy everything at once. ie: heads, longblock & blower (or new car) so I did the headswap first. Next I'm planning on doing a Turbo then a shortblock.
If I was rich (or single) I wouldnt have this problem.

Good luck with your build.

Users who are viewing this thread