Photoshop Lightroom users.....

SOCOMech

Established Member
So yesterday, I took the plunge into the DSLR world and picked up a Canon T3i with 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses and went ahead and got Lightroom 4 as well. Of course, being completely new to the whole thing, it's pretty intimidating at first, especially when I fired up Lightroom for the first time last night. I know it'll just take time messing around with it but my question is....does Lightroom let you make pics like regular Photoshop? Can you do things like put different wheels on a car or bumpers or even do the goofy stuff like put a shark's head on a grizzly bear, lol? I enjoyed making some of my current photo's look sharper with it, was just wondering if I could do some of that crazier stuff too. Thanks.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
lightroom blows
Mac user? LOL I've found LR to be the best PP software I've messed with. I'm by no means a hardcore, shoots lined up every weekend photog, but I think the UI is fairly straight forward and gives you a decent number of adjustments to perform to the image.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i have some photo editing software already. everything from the free picasa to photochop. i tried lightroom and uninstalled it the first day. there isnt anything i couldnt do with my other software. light room was not very user friendly.

im not a professional photographer anyway and it just didnt suit my needs. oh, and no im not mac.

mac blows too.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
i have some photo editing software already. everything from the free picasa to photochop. i tried lightroom and uninstalled it the first day. there isnt anything i couldnt do with my other software. light room was not very user friendly.

im not a professional photographer anyway and it just didnt suit my needs. oh, and no im not mac.

mac blows too.
It's all good. I just asked because most of the people that don't seem to fond of LR use Mac/Apple and prefer Aperture over LR.

I've tried using Picasa myself, but it didn't really fit the types of editing I like to do sometimes. I used to use Photoshop for all my PP editing, but now I mainly use it to develop graphic design stuff, and then a little color curve adjusting after exporting from LR.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
lightroom blows

80% of my post work is done in LR. It's very user friendly if you understand the theory. In fact I've found it to be much more user friendly than PShop when it comes to color correction, exposure levels etc. I only use PShop now for removing poles, reflections, and other annoying little things. Everything else I do in LR and it rocks :beer:

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
Being a total novice, I don't find LR that hard to use. Not any harder than say PShop or other similar sw.

Planter

Banned
So yesterday, I took the plunge into the DSLR world and picked up a Canon T3i with 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses and went ahead and got Lightroom 4 as well. Of course, being completely new to the whole thing, it's pretty intimidating at first, especially when I fired up Lightroom for the first time last night. I know it'll just take time messing around with it but my question is....does Lightroom let you make pics like regular Photoshop? Can you do things like put different wheels on a car or bumpers or even do the goofy stuff like put a shark's head on a grizzly bear, lol? I enjoyed making some of my current photo's look sharper with it, was just wondering if I could do some of that crazier stuff too. Thanks.

first off those 2 lenses....when you can afford to SELL THEM! Kit lenses are junk, the quality is below average at best.

any of the white bodied lenses are great, and any of the lenses with the red rings are also spectacular. Those are the quality lenses. Primes are your fixed focal length lenses (85mm). Try to stay away from gold ring lenses, and plain black bodied lenses with no rings...those are your cheapies.

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF Lens Lineup

replace with a 24-70mm f/2.8 USM lens or 24-105mm f/4. both run about $1200+ each but well worth it. If you can pony up, also pick up a 70-200mm f/2.8 USM II w/ IS (image stabilizer built in). also look at the 85mm f/1.8 portrait lens...(if you can afford get the f/1.2 85mm but it's pricey!).

if you don't have money to pony up for a good wide angle lens, you can get a greap wide angle made by rokinon.

this off brand lens has the highest ratrings and reviews of any non-canon lens I have ever seen, and the price is fantastic, only $300 and it blows the canon 10-22 out of the water, and decimates the sigma 10-20mm. Personally I stay as far away from Sigma, Tokina and other off brand lenses, but that's just my preference, others swear by them. Rokinon is an exception to the rule. :shrug:

Rokinon 8mm
Rokinon 8mm Ultra Wide Angle f/3.5 Fisheye Lens for Canon FE8M-C

also when buying lenses, never buy any lens with an aperture of more than f/4. you want to buy lenses in the f/1.2 - f/4 range. they will yield your best results, sharpest pictures, best depth of field and best colors, they are fast lenses and you get better photos in low light situations than you would with say an f/4.5 - 5.6 or more.

secondly , LR does do not do major PS type stuff. LR is for high quantity, fast paced photo processing in a short amount of time. when you need pics processed fast and uploaded (i.e. news/media photography like I do, sports, races etc).

LR is fabulous for it's purpose, but as far as making custom photo collages, masking, layering and intensive stuff, that's what PS is for.

LR lets you adjust color, saturation, vibrance, clarity, sharpness, crop and resize, export to various sizes, adjust exposure, brightness, contrast and tons of other settings. Think of it as the digital darkroom.

I'll prepare a zip file and pm you a link with some useful pdf tutorials on LR and PS that you will just enjoy the ever living hell out of. :beer:

lightroom blows

that's because you don't know how to use it to your advantage newb. :nonono:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i am a new to photography, so listen to planter and hybrid. they know their stuff when it comes to photography.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
first off those 2 lenses....when you can afford to SELL THEM! Kit lenses are junk, the quality is below average at best.

any of the white bodied lenses are great, and any of the lenses with the red rings are also spectacular. Those are the quality lenses. Primes are your fixed focal length lenses (85mm). Try to stay away from gold ring lenses, and plain black bodied lenses with no rings...those are your cheapies.

LOL, how ridiculous. While someone who shoots professionally might find the kit lenses and non-L lenses to be "junk", they are perfectly fine for someone who is just getting their feet wet with a DSLR. The last thing someone wants to hear after dropping a grand on a new camera is that you must now immediately go out and spend thousands of dollars on L lenses our all your photos will be shit. This just isn't true.

To the OP, a good BUDGET lens to pick up that has great image quality and is pretty versatile is the 50mm F/1.8 II. It's around $100-125 bucks new. If you've done any research into lenses, it's what people refer to as the "nifty fifty" or "thrifty fifty". That 55-250mm you picked up is a good budget lens too.

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
LOL, how ridiculous. While someone who shoots professionally might find the kit lenses and non-L lenses to be "junk", they are perfectly fine for someone who is just getting their feet wet with a DSLR. The last thing someone wants to hear after dropping a grand on a new camera is that you must now immediately go out and spend thousands of dollars on L lenses our all your photos will be shit. This just isn't true.

To the OP, a good BUDGET lens to pick up that has great image quality and is pretty versatile is the 50mm F/1.8 II. It's around $100-125 bucks new. If you've done any research into lenses, it's what people refer to as the "nifty fifty" or "thrifty fifty". That 55-250mm you picked up is a good budget lens too.

i'll agree to disagree with you here. Photography is not a cheap hobby, and if you want quality images, quality lenses are required.

If he's just gonna go put it on auto mode and push the button, then yeah, his kit lenses will work just fine.

if he's going to learn how to actually use the camera in all the various modes and learn to make spur of the moment adjustments, in any lighting situation and shooting conditions and wants to improve and take his photography to the next level, he'll ditch the kit shit and pony up for some good glass.

+2 on the nifty fifty, for $100 that's a lens you can't miss on. quality is great, it's fast and it's affordable.

plus if you shop around on photography-on-the.net forums and other camera forums, you can find good deals on used lenses, just make sure to either have the delivery guy stand by while you inspect it for damage (refuse to sign for it until it's inspected) and if it's good to go, sign for it, if there's something wrong, refuse it and send it back.

or you can shop on craigslist and meet up in person and take your camera with you, and test it out. i've bought a few good lenses off craigslist and the forums that gave me some nice results and I got them for far less than buying brand new and they were just as good.

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member

I will agree with you, Hmbre. I think it kind of brash to jump on someone saying that they now need to go drop $4k+ on more lenses. I think the 18-55IS and 55-250IS are great budget lenses for someone just getting into the photography scene. I am still shotting both of those kit lenses, and I have had great luck with them. You just have to know how to use them to your advantage. Yeah, they may not be as clear and sharp as L lenses or the USM models, but they are still good quality.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread