Photography buffs....help

dsrtdukone

Hurts when I pee
Established Member
My daughter wants a decent camera for Christmas. She's been into photography for a couple of years, and her interst does not seem to be waning, so I have no qualms with getting her something more than a $100 point and shoot. She's not 15 yet, but already understands the importance of taking care of personal belongings and has demonstrated this with everything we (wife and I) have given to her.

Basically, I'm looking to stay in the $500 - $700 range.

How are the Canon EOS Rebel XS's? Would this be a good starter camera for a teen looking to get serious about photography?

Any input would be SINCERELY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Feel free to post a pic or two that you have taken with your camera to give me an idea of what the camera is capable of if in capable hands.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I would take a serious look at the Nikon D40 or D70s. they can be had around that price range and the kit lens is a very good lens. I have pics that I have taken with my D70s but my shit is packed up ready for my trip back to Iraq at the moment. If you're interested in seeing them I will try to get them up once I get back to base.

dsrtdukone

Hurts when I pee
Established Member
I would take a serious look at the Nikon D40 or D70s. they can be had around that price range and the kit lens is a very good lens. I have pics that I have taken with my D70s but my shit is packed up ready for my trip back to Iraq at the moment. If you're interested in seeing them I will try to get them up once I get back to base.

Please do post them (the pics) RDJ. I saw several D40's and D60's while shopping, but not D70's. If I go the Nikon route, what type of accessories are a MUST HAVE on Christmas morning to get this thing up and running. Please keep in mind that I know NOTHING about photography, so breaking said list down into the most elementary of explanations will not hurt my feelings at all.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
The Rebel would be a great choice as well. Nikon has better kit glass, Canon has better high end glass.

dsrtdukone

Hurts when I pee
Established Member
The Rebel would be a great choice as well. Nikon has better kit glass, Canon has better high end glass.

I'm assuming the "glass" is the lens? So, if I go with the D60, she will be good to go with the lens? If I get the Rebel, I may want an upgrade?

STG

Banned
Read Ken Rockwell's review of the D40 and 18-55mm kit lens.

High end Canon glass isn't any better than high end Nikon glass.

The 18-55mm lens is fine. Buy your daughter a copy of Nikon Caputure software to process RAW images (Nikon Electronic Format-NEF-images are the highest quality format pictures) and Capture is the equivalent of a darkroom.

I wouldn't buy a DSLR without RAW image software.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I'm assuming the "glass" is the lens? So, if I go with the D60, she will be good to go with the lens? If I get the Rebel, I may want an upgrade?

The Canon kit lenses are fine. I still use mine with some frequency and you can get some great shots with them.

You can't really go wrong with either brand.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

Not a bad deal. I would double check and be sure the 55-200 is a NIKOR lens tho. That price for two NIKON lenses seems a bit on the low side which would indicate that it is either a tamron or other lesser quality lens or an older nikon lens.

B&H photovideo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...&shs=&at=Brand_Nikon&basicSubmit=Submit+Query) had the D40 with the same lenses for the same price. another indication that the 55-200 lens is not what you might be expecting. their D60 kit is 200.00 more expensive with the same SIZE lenses but I doubt it is the same quality lens.

That is a good combination of lenses however.

My PERSONAL opinion is that BHPhoto is a better place to buy from. RITZ has become the walmart of camera stores and I have been less than impressed with them both online and in person.

Lenses are the key to good pictures. They also hold their value better than the camera body does in case you want to upgrade later.

Canon and Nikon are both great cameras. I would stick with brand name glass i.e. nikor lenses with the NIKON and Canon lenses if you decide to go that route. There are cheaper lenses but I wouldn't go with them given a choice.

see if your daughter can take some photography courses at the local community college or adult education center if her school doesn't offer it.

94five0

*Click*
Established Member
Rebel Xt, Pentax k1500, older-style good SLR 35mm. will do anything she needs, $500-900 and is very accomodating for future add-ons: lenses, filters, etc if she gets really heavy into it.. plus your not footing the bill on a $1,300.00 DSLR..

STG

Banned
The D40 kit mentioned above from B&H contains these two lenses as described in the "what's included" section of the listing:

* 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens with Front & Rear Lens Caps

* 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor lens with Front & Rear Lens Caps

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
That looks like an outstanding starter set-up. The reason the lenses are so inexpensive is that they are Nikon's G-series lenses, which are mostly machine made. Still they are very good lenses, based on classic Nikon designs with modern updates. also, Ritz gets a great discount from Nikon because they order tons of Nikon equipment, and they pass it on to the consumer.

The good thing about Nikon, is you can use those lenses on any other Nikon camer ever made. They all have the same mount. Canon makes great lenses, but they have three different lens mounts, now, and it just looks like marketing, to me.

And just so you now: I am a Nikon fan. So I am a little biased.

Still, I may have to get a setup like that Ritz kit for my niece, in a few years.

Jim Snover

The D40 kit mentioned above from B&H contains these two lenses as described in the "what's included" section of the listing:

* 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens with Front & Rear Lens Caps

* 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor lens with Front & Rear Lens Caps

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I would recommend the Rebel. I almost got one, but decided to spend a little (ok, a lot) more on the 40D. Canon was recommended to me across the board from my photographer friends.

Users who are viewing this thread