Photo shoot with both my Cobras, need DSLR advice

Steve03SVT

Semper Fi
Established Member
Well, I am gonna get both cars (see sig) out this weekend for a photo shoot. I have a Canon XSi DSLR camera and I need some input on camera settings and the best time of day for quality photos. Im basically a newb at the photography world. I only have the Lens that came with the camera and no tripod. If the tripod makes that big of a difference, I can pick one of those up this weekend. Thanks in advance :beer:

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
Get a tripod and learn your manual settings. Take a lot of photos with those different settings and shoot in RAW so you can post process in Canon's Digital Photo Professional.

Steve03SVT

Semper Fi
Established Member
Get a tripod and learn your manual settings. Take a lot of photos with those different settings and shoot in RAW so you can post process in Canon's Digital Photo Professional.

Lol, so you're saying AUTO mode isn't gonna cut it for good photos? Guess it's time to get the manual out. Thanks man.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Nothing wrong with auto for a noob, but pay attention to what the camera is setting itself at; make notes if you have to. Full manual for someone with minimal experience will be very frustrating. You need to learn what all the settings change and what those changes mean in the end result, which is why it's good to start on auto and just pay attention. At this point, the camera is smarter than you lol. I would almost recommend letting the camera take care of the technical stuff for now and work on good framing, background selection, and the art side of the shots themselves. Once you can get that down well, move into playing with settings etc. There are a LOT of noob mistakes people make, and most of them have little to do with camera settings.

Also, I wouldn't recommend shooting in RAW in the beginning. RAW files are huge, and only a few programs/hosting sites can even view them. You need to worry more about getting the picture right straight off the camera rather than just fixing stuff later. There's a lot you simply won't be able to fix, so it's easy to blow an entire shoot if you don't have your settings right. You want to be able to keep your need for post-editing to a minimum, especially in the beginning. Photography is about taking good pictures, not fixing bad pictures, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread