Photo Guru’s I need your opinion on… Adobe Lightroom..??

PA SNAKE

Established Member
Photo Guru’s I need your opinion on… Adobe Lightroom..??

This question is primarily for the Photo, Photoshop guys or anyone who does any Digital editing. I’m just now getting into the Digital SLR realm and I recently picked up a Nikon D40x DSLR. I’m told the best way to take & edit Hi-rez pictures is in Camera Raw mode. My issue is the only “quality” photo viewer that I’ve found to view RAW images quickly is Adobe Lightroom which is very nice but a bit expensive.

Now before we get into a hole debockal about editing digital photo’s… I already use Photoshop for the real detail stuff. What I’m looking for is a “quality” Viewer/editor kinda like AcDsee which the newer version might work, I’m not sure yet… I still have to look into that.

I know Microsoft has a free RAW viewer/converter but its VERY VERY SLOW and cumbersome.

Has anyone here used Lightroom and what are your thoughts. And, would you recommend anything else…?

Thanks for your help..

Rick

gomach1

5.0hh
Established Member
I like photoshop, and use it primarily for all my photo needs, but i dont do the kind of things that you want to start doing, i would use photoshop for that but i dont know if its the best

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
Many people use lightroom when processing large batches of photos to optimise and quicken their workflow. I shoot raw only and use photoshop for all my editing including raw processing. If you need the speed then get it otherwise don't bother. I am sure Nikon has a raw converter and I just started using CS3 which has a very nice raw converter as well. If you need to organise your pics just use Adobe Bridge, it's free. Bottom line is unless you are a pro for whom time efficiency is key I don't think Lightroom is money well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread