Phoenix, AZ guys in here: FUEL QUALITY

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
So, Ive been contacting a few of the reputable tuners in the GT500 community about future mod plans for my 2011 GT500. Mods include a TVS, pulley, injectors etc.

One of the tuners stated that AZ gas is shit quality, and that 91 octane tunes more like 87. Essentially, any gains of buying a Trinity TVS and 2.5" pulley would be ... ehh at best. Now, Ive never been under the impression that AZ gas is awesome, but I never thought it was bad enough that AZ 91 premium was considered horrible. Hell, Ive heard more shit about California mandated 91 blend being shit for performance than AZ gas.

Brands Im using in my Shelby are Shell, Chevron, Mobil, etc. Top shelf, name brand fuels especially on race day. Hell, come race day I plan on mixing 3-4 gallons of 100 octane in with the 91 to make 93-94 octane.

Is what im being told baloney? Anyone have any tuning issues traced to poor 91 in AZ?

Blown 89

Established Member
Why would our 91 be any worse than anyone else's 91? You're being fed a bunch of crap.

I have a recommendation for a good tuner if you want one.

Zona14Stang

Established Member
I found that shell was the best. However I switched to E85. Even though it can be e51 - e80. After talking with Justin at VMP he said the octane really did not drop that much. I did get a tune update a little richer mixture, still runs much better then running any 91 or even the race gas from Wild Horse Pass.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Id consider running e85 if the cost of entry for my GT500 wasnt so high. Even with the JPC budget kit, Id still need at a minimum Ford Racing 80lb injectors and confidence to find e85 on the pump consistently.

Ive always found Shell to be head and shoulders better as a fuel, with Mobil and Chevron right behind. I cant imagine a Name brand fuel station would have shit fuel in their tanks.

Why would our 91 be any worse than anyone else's 91? You're being fed a bunch of crap.

I have a recommendation for a good tuner if you want one.

PM me if you can. Would be much appreciated!

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
You're being fed a line. Pretty much all fuel is refined in the same locations, then destined for it's final location before being purchased by the major re-sellers who add their own detergent packages. As long as you are purchasing fuel from a top tier station and is consistently busy, the quality of the 91 at a pump in Arizona should be no different than the quality from a pump in other states.

While I have not lived in Arizona since 2008, I never had fuel concern issues while I was out there and I never heard anything like that from the car guys out there either.

oldmodman

Established Member
I drive back and forth between Los Angeles and Scottsdale a couple of times a year.
I have never had a problem with Arizona fuel. As a matter of fact I had a load of crappy gas from a hole in the wall California gas station and as soon as I crossed into Arizona I topped off the tank with their fuel, only about a third of a tank and the pinging stopped. This was driving a rental truck. Plus it was over a dollar a gallon cheaper in Arizona.

CV355

_
Established Member
I'm over in SC, but I only get gas from reputable stations. The thing that ticks me off is when I put 93 in a bike and wonder how much of the 2 gallons was 87 leftover in the lines from the last guy.

Cheap gas used to make my old Explorer ping like a bastard, so I just started throwing 93 in everything.

I have heard the widespread rumor about tankers dumping excess 87 in 91/93 tanks. It's not as easy to test gasoline as it is E85

Jefe

Established Member
I had my Cobra tuned in Phoenix on 91 and the tuner had no issues.

I would look at E85 though. All my buddies in Tucson have been testing it at every pump and we are seeing E88 almost regularly

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I'd just stay at a well known busy place. A place like that cant afford to be dicking around with fuel. I've also heard many stories of smaller places putting 87 in 93 tanks.

Blown 89

Established Member
The thing that ticks me off is when I put 93 in a bike and wonder how much of the 2 gallons was 87 leftover in the lines from the last guy.
1/3 or a gallon. I've heard that's tightly regulated

MFE

Established Member
91 octane can vary from refinery to refinery because it's an average of two different ways of measuring octane, Motor Octane and Research Octane. Two "91 octane" gasolines can differ by being higher on one measure than the other and still come out "91". That said, there's no indication I know of that AZ is universally worse than any other region.

However, as of last year, the so-called "E85" is now called "Ethanol Flex Fuel" and is allowed to be as low as 54% Ethano, so if you use an "E85" tune, you need to be careful about your source of fuel.

nxhappy

Established Member
either Torco, or E85

91 is shitty no matter how you look at it

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I dunno about torco dude. It was the only octane booster I used with my last set of plugs and they looked like shhiiiitttt!

Just found out that the Love's next to Wild Horse Pass Raceway has Sunoco 100 and 110 on the pump. Woot woot! 4 gallons of 100 and fill the rest with 91 should give me a solid 93

nxhappy

Established Member
I dunno about torco dude. It was the only octane booster I used with my last set of plugs and they looked like shhiiiitttt!

Just found out that the Love's next to Wild Horse Pass Raceway has Sunoco 100 and 110 on the pump. Woot woot! 4 gallons of 100 and fill the rest with 91 should give me a solid 93
yea, you will go through more plugs. but at least you won't blow the motor LOL

SROLD

Established Member
Have run Costco 91 in a Terminator for 14 years and now a GT350. Never a problem, the price is ALWAYS the lowest and you get frequent flyer points. What's not to like?

Users who are viewing this thread