Philosophy question of the Day for the Military folks

Sinister Angel

Buh Bye !
I've read through some of the enlistment oaths, and they've all mentioned defending the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic, and following the orders of the president. Now, what would you do if the president IS the enemy of the constitution, and why?

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Originally posted by Sinister Angel
I've read through some of the enlistment oaths, and they've all mentioned defending the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic, and following the orders of the president. Now, what would you do if the president IS the enemy of the constitution, and why?
you would have to choose one side, and rebel and fight against the other. Hence where civil wars come from.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
Originally posted by Sinister Angel

damn man, that is a deep question. this should be a good thread.

ICEMAN9648

Established Member
Read #4. I would hope that this would happen....

Amendment XXV - Presidential disability and succession. Ratified 2/10/1967. Note History

1. In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President.

2. Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

3. Whenever the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, such powers and duties shall be discharged by the Vice President as Acting President.

4. Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
That's why you obey all/only Lawful orders. We know when to obey and not to obey, we aren't robots or movie soldiers.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Well...can you be more specific as how he becomes an enemy of the Constitution?

speederdoc

Established Member
You mean if Kerry gets elected and turns control of the military over to the UN (the "global test")? I hope the military would stand up for our country, and um, remedy the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread