Peterson’s Externally Vented Air-Oil Separator

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Should I have gone with the Peterson’s Externally Vented Air-Oil Separator instead of Bob's? This vents the gases outside of the can and not into the blower. This is the link to the article on StangTV.com

Review: Peterson’s Externally Vented Air-Oil Separator | StangTV

From the article : “The capacity of the catch can is a quart, but you shouldn’t ever see more than a teaspoon or two of oil in the catch can over 3,000 miles. It’s not a ton of oil, but it’s certainly something that you don’t want in the combustion chamber,” says Morten."

I think the Bob's cans have proven that they catch much more than a teaspoon or two over 3000 miles :beer: I think most people here get that much in 1000 miles!

Also from the article : The air can then be directed either back into the engine, or you can route the outlet hose away from the engine and down underneath the car, and this prevents the oil smell from entering the passenger compartment,” says Morten.

So if you want to block off the inlet to the S/C and route the top hose somewhere else like them, you can do it too, but not practical for most users.

And final thought, without testing I am not saying this 100%, but it has no media but baffles. We saw how "well" this worked for shelby with their no media design and didn't catch much at all. Not to mention the push on fittings vs collar an fittings, much more difficult hose to work with (parker hose, fragola doesn't make their own hose) metal core, to cut nice really need to cut in chop saw with metal blade, and no heat shrink hose clamps. Also no powder coating options that I see.

I hope this puts your mind at ease about your Bob's can and thank you and everyone that is running them :rockon:

railroad

Established Member
I do not know how they compare to Bobs. I do not think the Shelby even has baffles, hence its total failure in separating the oil. My main opposition to Bob's is having to cut up my stock set up to attach it to the engine. Seems to be the same with Petersons. I want to retain the ability to put it back stock without a trip to the dealer. I know, weird, but that's me. I guess I need to do some research on the Petersons. I would like to see the baffle system.

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories...petersons-externally-vented-air-oil-separator

Last edited:

Steve@BAS

Established Member
^^Thanks Marc!

Railroad, you can pick up a new stock unit for something like $15 from Tousley ford (they are known for their awesome 10% over cost business plan).

Or you can just run hot water over the fittings and pull out of stock hose and do in reverse to put back together.

railroad

Established Member
^^Thanks Marc!

Railroad, you can pick up a new stock unit for something like $15 from Tousley ford (they are known for their awesome 10% over cost business plan).

Or you can just run hot water over the fittings and pull out of stock hose and do in reverse to put back together.

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I could not see the forest for the trees or what ever it is. I need to get one installed, before racking up too many miles.
thanks again,

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Cobra Jets use externally vented catch cans. That is the only way to ensure that no oil vapor gets drawn back into the engine.

Myfast70

Established Member
You can order extra hoses from Van. He was able to add them to my order when I bought the Bob's unit from him to save the hassle and trip to the stealership. This way I can switch back at any time and didn't have to use the stock stuff. Here's how I installed mine (just the passenger side can only)

Catchcan2_zpsecd3caa0.jpg

Catchcan1_zpsb45ecb64.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread