Pet Insurance opinions

IcE

Established Member
I recently brought home a Rottweiler puppy, she is about 4 months old now. I had not really ever heard of dog insurance before so I do not know how well the reimbursement process works or how reliable it is in general. I was looking at the companies Healthy paw and Pet plan which say they do not discriminate against hereditary illness etc. Their only exclusions seem to be with wellness care and any pre exisiting conditions which I guess would have to be noted by the vet beforehand. I don't know if paying a premium every month is better or just stashing the same amount of money away in a savings account. Does anyone have any experience with pet insurance or made any claims through any?

Last edited:

99GreenCobra

Established Member
Wish I had it. My rotti cross is nearing ten and she has torn both acl's. Putting her down was never an option. Spent well over $10,000 on her. I don't regret a penny and I had the cash. But my wife has a lab cross the same age and she has hardly cost anything. Tough call.

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Get it for sure. My mom has it on her two King Charles cavaliers and it saved her almost 10k on back surgery when one of them essentially broke his back at 4 years of age. You'll thank yourself if something happens and you're covered instead of having to put your best friend down because you can't afford surgery costs. You owe it to the dog to have the best chance at a full and healthy life after taking it into your home

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I had it on my Neapolitan mastiff, Otis. I took him in because he wasn't eating. He ended up have an obstruction in his intestine that had ruptured.

My bill was over 8k. I don't recall the amount they covered vs what I had to pay. They also reimbursed the purchase price if anything happens to them. Its not something I'd ever want to use. But at the time, I was wreck since Otis didn't make it out of surgery and the last thing I had on my mind was the mounting vet bill. It also covered a tumor he had on his foot previously.

High dollar breeds or if you don't have anything in savings but can handle the monthly payment I'd definitely recommend it. I'd hate to know I could have saved my dog had I been able to afford it.

wht93gted

Established Member
I hemmed and hawed back and forth about getting it for our boxer when we first got her.
The cheaper plan was in the $600\year range, and the more expensive plans were even more. Factoring in what was covered under the lower tier, vs higher tier, vs assumed cost over 10 years, I decided against it.

Spudz

Established Member
I didn't go with insurance for my dogs because I didn't want someone else telling me what I could and couldn't do for treatment (what they would cover and what they would not). In the end, it might mean more out of pocket for me, but that's the cost/risk I'm willing to take.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I have Pet Plan for both my Labs. I think I have the silver level plan. One of my two pups has torn both his ACLs and a couple other small issues. They've always covered the claims and paid out several thousand dollars to me throughout the years. The claim process has always been headache free. Only gripe is that it was like $30/month per dog when I started and it's up around $50/month six years later.

Dragu1a

Established Member
i wish i would've had it for my dog and i will have it for any dogs in the future.

my bulldog tore her acl in both knees, about 4 months apart, before she was 18 months old. $6k+ in surgeries.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
I have Trupanion for both my boxers. I pay just under 120 bucks for the both of them. After one of them tore his ACL (pre-insurance), we paid out 4000 just to have the ACL repaired with the TPLO surgery. Ever since then, we've had insurance. If it happens to the other leg, it'll be 10% (or 400 bucks) to have it repaired.

It's worth it if you have a dog breed that may be prone to injury. Shit happens too, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Dragu1a

Established Member
After one of them tore his ACL (pre-insurance), we paid out 4000 just to have the ACL repaired with the TPLO surgery. Ever since then, we've had insurance. If it happens to the other leg, it'll be 10% (or 400 bucks) to have it repaired.

i'd double check that. every pet insurance company i looked at after my dog tore her first acl stated that they would not cover the opposite leg, bc they considered it "pre-existing".

IcE

Established Member
So I have decided I am going to sign up with Healthypaws insurance after all of your input. Seeing the price of some of these surgeries makes it seem like a decent deal rather then footing an entire vet bill at any unexpected moment. The plan I am going with covers 90% so that should be very helpful if the worst case scenario happens. Couldn't imagine losing her and its only been about a month so I can't imagine what it would feel like a few years down the line.

ThinkTwice

Slow 2V
Established Member
The best protection/investment for my Shih Tzu was getting VPI Pet Insurance. He needed 2 back surgery's due to him developing Invertebral Disc Disease. The out of pocket expenses would have been over $8k without insurance!

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
This thread made me just spring for pet insurance for my dog. Been thinking of doing it for a while anyways. Went with PetPlan bronze level plan @ 90% reimbursement for 25 per month.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Our french bulldog has it, but our pitbull doesn't. She's replaceable. lol that's what I tell my wife messing with her. Seeing this thread reminded me again I do need to get it for the second dog too.

tistan

Established Member
My opinion is that all insurance is nothing more than a well calculated scam. I don't think pet insurance will be any different.

Users who are viewing this thread