Personal favorite Road trips from the bay area

03rocks

Established Member
I drove my car down Sunday to the Bay area from Seattle. On this trip you go up and over 3 mountain passes in souther Oregon just before and after the California border. I truly believe those roads were built with precision driving in mind. Smooth fast single apex corners.

I was rather impressed with a Z06 that was able to hang for a while. sissy.

The point is I'm looking to go for either a day or an overnight road trip from San Jose. I'm looking for recommendations from some locals that might not some good roads that aren't traveled by too many black and whites. Also I would prefer stay off the Interstates.

I appreciate any input you might have.

03DOHC

Established Member
Hwy 84. From San Jose you'd take Hwy 101 north and take the 84 West Woodside Road exit and follow it all the way to the coast. From there you can go south and do a circle back to SJ or go north to SF.

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Hwy 84. From San Jose you'd take Hwy 101 north and take the 84 West Woodside Road exit and follow it all the way to the coast. From there you can go south and do a circle back to SJ or go north to SF.
Or you can take Hwy 280 north from San Jose. Depends on which is closer. 280 would be better, both will get you there.

03rocks

Established Member
The way you described it your post makes 84 sound like a very good choice. I plannin to go down and check out Apex on Saturday morning then maybe I'll go for a ride in the late afternoon. Thanks for your suggestion.

Poisoned Pony

The Mach that Rocks
Established Member
Originally posted by 03rocks
Is there a preferred route to Lake Tahoe?

there really isn't much going towards Tahoe, plus you want to avoid that now. 1st major storm this week is expected to bring some snow

By the way, I recommend this site http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

lots of great scenic routes for California there. My personal favorites are Mines Road/Mt Hamilton Road and the Highway 9/Skyline Blvd combos.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Break out a Valentine One and take PCH all the way down to LA.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Hwy 84- definitely!

Yep, he's right. Hwy 84 is what you are looking for.

It is like something out of a vidoe game. Lots (and lots) of really tight corners, as well as some nicer curves that let you keep your speed up.

To put it into perspective, alot of crotch rocket guys ride along there to get their kicks in the corners.

I recommend doing it on a week night, or mid day. If you wait until the weekend it will be crowded and you won't get all the thrill you can handle.

As you go from Woodside up the Mtn, you eventually reach the top of the ridge. Just keep going straight and come down the other side to the Ocean. As you come outa the mtns the road opens up to longer, straighter stretches that will let the car cool down, and let the driver wind down.

At hwy 1 turn north and you are about 15 -20 minits from Half Moon Bay. Stop off at It's Italia. Excellent italian (pizza, pasta & seafood), reasonably priced.

Let us all know how your trip goes!

sapper

Established Member
IMHO, Forget 84.
You want a sweet road. Go to Redding in CA and head east on 299 all the way to coast. I have been on a lot of roads and that run will be sure to please anyone that loves them mountain curves. Its also low altitude so you have all your power. The traffic is also light, so the mini vans will not be so much of a problem.

03rocks

Established Member
Thanks for all the tips. Very much appreciated.

By the way I'm headin down to Apex Motorsports Saturday morning before I head out if anybody wants to meet up and compare notes.

03rocks

Established Member
I've been talkin with somebody down there trying to get set up with a chip and tune.

03rocks

Established Member
I highly doubt it. That place sounds busy as sh*t. I'm just tryin to set up an appointment for a date before I take the car back to the north.

03DOHC

Established Member
I've only seen a dyno run on video. That'd be cool to watch the progress w/the tune.

Users who are viewing this thread