permatex rubberized undercoating (question)

FATPAUL

To The Bat-Mobile!
Established Member
I use SEM undercoating dries fast and does not stay tacky it's not a rubberized undercoating. I used this on my mini tubbed hatches inside and out. It's not cheap but its the best i have found. The other stuff makes more of mess in the long run than its worth.When done go over it with SEM trim black best shade of trim black i can find. I am going to the paint shop today i'll get the product number off the cans.

Id like to see this.

Also what was the weather like when you all started this?

zeus201

Established Member
I use SEM undercoating dries fast and does not stay tacky it's not a rubberized undercoating. I used this on my mini tubbed hatches inside and out. It's not cheap but its the best i have found. The other stuff makes more of mess in the long run than its worth.When done go over it with SEM trim black best shade of trim black i can find. I am going to the paint shop today i'll get the product number off the cans.

Is this what you used?

SEM Rubberized Undercoating - 39523

61mmstang94

Established Member
I use SEM undercoating dries fast and does not stay tacky IT'S NOT A RUBBERIZED UNDERCOATING. I used this on my mini tubbed hatches inside and out. It's not cheap but its the best i have found. The other stuff makes more of mess in the long run than its worth.When done go over it with SEM trim black best shade of trim black i can find. I am going to the paint shop today i'll get the product number off the cans.

Probably not.

cranium

Cerebral Assassin!!
Established Member
i bought the cheap crap from wally-world it sprays on brown but dries black. I sprayed the trunk of my coupe and inside the car before I put the carpet in, and I was surprised how good it came out! Fender Wells too!

SkipVTracer

Clueless SVT Poster
Established Member
I too tried a rubberized spray awhile back, but don't remember the brand. It was crap. Sprayed on easily but took forever to dry. Eventually flaked and came off completely.

Then I saw Herculiner brush-on bed liner at Autozone. Bought a small can and got some cheap paint brushes from Wallyworld and went at it. Since most of the previous coating had come off, I cleaned the rears with Simple Green and then wiped down with alcohol using rags and a sponge. Taped and covered things that could get droppings or overbrushing. Then simply painted with the liquid liner, waited a couple of hours before applying a 2nd coat. The consistency of the stuff was just perfect, not too thin to run down or too thick to make it difficult to brush.
It dried fairly quick, but I didn't really need to drive the car and let it sit for a day.

That was about 4 years ago and the rears wells still look outstanding. Has a nice bumpy texture and medium black shine. And no chipping from road debris or flaking.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
pretty sweet that sounds like a winner. i may go that route if i'm not happy with permatex..

f2hatch

Established Member
SEM trim black 39143. The undercoating i like has been discontinued. But esentully what your looking for is a paintable undercoating that is the stuff that dries hard and isnt tacky 3M makes a decent one the one with the orange label it just doesnt cover as well. Whatever you get make sure it is paintable. I will try to get some part numbers for you guys.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
SEM trim black 39143. The undercoating i like has been discontinued. But esentully what your looking for is a paintable undercoating that is the stuff that dries hard and isnt tacky 3M makes a decent one the one with the orange label it just doesnt cover as well. Whatever you get make sure it is paintable. I will try to get some part numbers for you guys.

im about 90% sure the rubber per. stuff says paintable right on the can.

Thats the first thing i wondered when i felt it, is how the hell can this be painted?

Users who are viewing this thread