Performance Tips for Stock 07 GT500 Houston Shop Recommendation?

cobragt500tx

Established Member
Hi , we have an 07 gt500 vert that is primarily stock ( i think it has about 65000 miles on it) We have owned it for about 20 000 miles. I think it has the mufflers done. I have been reluctant to mod the car as we want it to be reliable.

But we were recently considering to do somethings to it sounds more BadA** maybe a little faster but its important that its reliable. Im personally not a mechanical person so don't want to deal with anything breaking. We would be looking for value mods. Not sure how much you have to spend , say like 5 k? I imagine an exhaust system for part but then like a Cam or something ? Whats a good place to start- and finish as we arent looking to turn it into a continuos project , just something to spruce it up :)

Additionally know of any good places in Houston that we can consider bidding it out?

Looking forward to any input anyone might have for us.

fullboogie

Established Member
I've been in this game, in Houston, since 1995. I know every shop here and there's not one I would bring my car to. If I were looking at something locally, I'd go to Triangle Speed Shop in the Beaumont area.

cobragt500tx

Established Member
Thanks, to both of you for the tips. Any idea of what a pulley and tune should run? Im going to check out Triangle, looks like they do some pretty serious stuff scanning a few of their videos.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
#1 mod: ENGINE BALANCER. If it didnt get the upgraded 08+ unit at some point, then an ATI or IW balance should be your top priority. You need this upgrade to protect your engine from the harmonics of creating more power.

Parts:
VMP 2.5" upper pulley (bigger like 2.6 or 2.7 if you decide on an overdrive balancer)

PMAS cold air intake system

Lund Racing tune.

Before you know it, youll have a shit eating grin every time you mash the go fast pedal. ... and need new rear tires more frequently hehe

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Later OEM version looks like this.

m6312svt_4008.jpg

Can't find a decent pic of the behemoth version, but it's got a lot more mass to it. Should be easy to identify.
]

TCAT1000

Established Member
First off, all of these mods can be bought on here or fordgt500.com used for a fraction of the new price. I would do upper pulley, JLT CAI and a lund of VMP tune. Have someone install the CAI and pulley and then upload the tune.

94CobraPace

Established Member
What are your goals for the car?
Shops are a personal preference and everyone has their own preference and opinion. I like Chris Car Doc in Humble. I recommend going to the shop before you need them and talking to them before you take the car there. See the shop, projects and talk to them about goals, they can recommend what they like.
With $5K to spend, skip the pulley and go straight for the TVS Gen2, injectors, CAI, TB and tune (save the money so you won't have to redo). Don't forget about suspension and shifter.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
D3 Peroformance (Now Prospeed). Some of the best work in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

deepblue13

Established Member
Depending on what you want done, small items, save your money on a shop and hit up some friends or forum members that are willing to help out. Heck, give me a shout if you need a hand.

If you want to look at a shop though, Kinetik Motorsport on the northwest side is a great shop. Stop by and visit with them. Chris the Car Doc is also another good source. Prospeed is an awesome shop that puts out great fabrication work.

cobragt500tx

Established Member
Thanks all. We dropped the car off at Triangle Speed shop and are going to tune CAI and full exhaust.

Really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and offer their suggestions. I even saw two Shelby’s on the road there ( if that was any of you I was the one without the exhaust on i10!)

Users who are viewing this thread