performance hybrid?

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
photo1.jpg

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/volta.html

In 1800, Alessandro Volta arranged zinc and copper discs in a column and invented the battery. 204 years later, Toyota has electrified automotive history with the first high-performance hybrid, named in his honor. The Giugiaro-designed carbon-fiber body seats three people abreast and features "drive-by-wire" controls, allowing you to position the steering wheel and pedals in front of any one of them. And the Volta's 408-hp Hybrid Synergy Drive (a 3.3-liter V6 with an electric motor for each axle) not only delivers 435 miles on a 13.7-gallon tank, but 0 - 60 acceleration in a mere 4 seconds. Somewhere, Count Volta is smiling.

The idea is intriguing. Your thoughts?

chicken714

NKAWTG
Established Member
Damn!t, I knew as soon as I was old enough/made enough money to start in on my own cars the the internal combustion would be on its way out. Wait - there are only 5 hybrid cars? Oh, I should be safe for a few more years. Its a cool concept, I wouldn't buy it though.

mustarrosa

Established Member
I heard that Honda has a hybrid car with over 400hp and 0-60 in a little over 4 secs and gets over 40 miles to the gallon.

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
Originally posted by 99cobrablack
anything can be "performance" hell, I bet somebody has a "performance" pacemaker.
Haha, do I sense import fear and denial?

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Originally posted by LBguy
Haha, do I sense import fear and denial?
No. Truth hurts, doesn't it?

Anyway, how much would that thing cost? Let's say for argument's sake, $150,000. Do you think someone paying $150k gives a rat's ass about fuel economy?

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
Originally posted by NYCStangGT
No. Truth hurts, doesn't it?

Anyway, how much would that thing cost? Let's say for argument's sake, $150,000. Do you think someone paying $150k gives a rat's ass about fuel economy?
So you're saying that 0-60mph in 4 seconds doesn't qualify a car to be a 'performance' car? :dw: And have you ever thought that there just might come a day when being fuel efficient isn't all about saying a few extra bucks?

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
So you're saying that 0-60mph in 4 seconds doesn't qualify a car to be a 'performance' car? :dw: And have you ever thought that there just might come a day when being fuel efficient isn't all about saying a few extra bucks?
When did I say that? :dw: :dw:

At this point in time, it seems pointless. Who will buy it when there are much better alternatives? But with that said, I do think it's a neat idea. Something to think about for the future, even if the future we're thinking about is 50+ years away. Right now I think it's something not worth thinking about.

Last edited:

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
Nevermind, I thought you were agreeing with "anything can be "performance" hell, I bet somebody has a "performance" pacemaker." which strikes me as saying that it's not really a performance car, merely something with the 'performance' label slapped on.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Nevermind, I thought you were agreeing with "anything can be "performance" hell, I bet somebody has a "performance" pacemaker." which strikes me as saying that it's not really a performance car, merely something with the 'performance' label slapped on.
I was stating the same as NYC, it is cool in concept, I guess, but why?? Anything can be performance, but why?? What good would a fast geo storm be?? honestly??

fastpearl04

Established Member
That is a stupid idea by toyota and cant wait to find some loser that would buy that and think is a real race car..

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
Originally posted by fastpearl04
That is a stupid idea by toyota and cant wait to find some loser that would buy that and think is a real race car..

there's a 3month waiting list for Toyota Hybrids, and the Lexus already sold 9000 of their new Hybrid before its even in the showroom.

if a car is fast, people will buy it. (if 4sec 0-60 isnt fast, I dont know what is) who tf cares if its a Hybrid, electric, or flubber powerd. You guys have to stop living in the past. Dino juice wont last forever you know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread