Performance exhaust.

qachargh

Established Member
Does anybody here know of any complete performance exhaust systems available for the SVTF? And when I say complete I mean everythuing from the header to the tip. I see a lot of cat back systems for the ZX3 and Ford is selling some headers but I think they are identical to what comes on the car.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
From what I've read on this forum and others, there's not much more 'performance' left in the exhaust. SVT did a great job with it from the factory. BTW, have you taken a good look at the factory header? It's a pretty nice piece!

You can always replace he cat with a high-flow or go catless, but anything else would be soley for sound.

Now, if you plan on Forced Induction & serious HP improvements, that may be a different story.

Last edited:

qachargh

Established Member
That is what I figured. The header on there looks like they gave the tubing really good bends and kept the diameter fairly decent. I have been looking at the cat-back systems and Steeda sells one for a little over 400. I was just wondering if there was some source of parts that I was overlooking. This is my first car that I am actually going to modify so I am trying not to overlook something. Does anybody have a Magnaflow cat-back system?

Last edited:

jasonpalamar

Established Member
Stock exhaust is as good as all the aftermarket stuff. Only worth changing is you want it to be louder. ORP is the only HP adding mod for it that I know of.

qachargh

Established Member
The MBRP looks like a pretty good system. 300 for a 2.5-inch completely stainless mandrel-bent system ain't bad. If I had the money for the Ford Racing blower the 3-inch Tru-Bendz system might be a good investment. I could always run an open header...

jasonpalamar

Established Member
The MBRP looks like a pretty good system. 300 for a 2.5-inch completely stainless mandrel-bent system ain't bad. If I had the money for the Ford Racing blower the 3-inch Tru-Bendz system might be a good investment. I could always run an open header...

Oepn header sounds like poo. My GTO has a 5.7l V8 and my exhaust is only 2.5". I think exhausts for these 4 bangers shouldn't be that big. Unless you are using forced induction... it will probally hurt your preformance rather then help.

ucntseemeee

2003 SVT Focus
Established Member
actually it doesn't decrease performance...i have the 2.5" exhaust from trubendz and it sounds just like that mbrp exhaust above, and i paid about 80 bux less. the 3" piping is definitely for FI applications. however it won't hurt any NOTICABLE performance. on paper is a deferent story

qachargh

Established Member
That is one of the things I like about most of the cat-back systems for the SVTF. Just a straight pipe with a real muffler in the middle. None of these drinking straw pipes with a 5-inch fart-can hanging out the back. I am into the straight volume, not the sound of bolts in a coffee can.

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
I cut out the main muffler and straight piped that section, sounded great, but not too farty. Then came the off road pipe, and I couldn't drive it, it was really damn loud. So on went the muffler, now I"m happy. E-

qachargh

Established Member
It is amazing how loud even a 4-banger will be with open exhaust. The only way I have seen it work is a car pushing a HUGE turbo as long as you don't get into too hard. I would really like to have a side exit exhaust on the car, but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for questionable performance gains and to have my car laid up for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread