Performance auto c4?

phantom_5_liter

Established Member
So the last few days I've done constant research and seems as tho no one has invested in performance auto's c4. Is there anyone on this forum that uses the c4? I'm wanting to go automatic now because my mt82 trans has no first gear or reverse and my warranty is out the door because of my supercharger. anyone have any recomendations on where I can go an get an automatic package with the components I need?? power glide or c4..
thank you all and happy sunday:rockon:

onefastmf

Established Member
I don't think c4's hold up very well with heavier cars , at least that's whats I remember. There are people doing 6r80 swaps, not sure how but they are out there. Should be fine into low 9's or so. Kind of depends on what your power level will be too.

Justin81

Established Member
Let me see if I can help,

1. Performance Automatic is a great company that's been in the C4 game very long time. Bill is salesman there and knows his crap. If I were to get a C4 from anyone it would be them. They claim lifetime warranty but i'm not sure how that works. C-4's are in Cobrajets and they are built by one specific guy but i'm not sure if he wants his name announced so you'll have to research that on your own. There are a good amount of weak links in a C$ so don't expect to put that in and never touch it again. The planetary gears and thrust washers wear out and cause failure. The input shafts suck and drums break. Also, In my experience, no one really builds a good valve body for it. Usually, the trans builder has to get creative making them work well.

2. If you're into a 3 speed swap than you should consider a T-400. It was a factory built heavy duty truck trans and in it's factory form is a bad ass piece. Thousands are running them every day in there Ford power vehicles. I had one in my '04 Turbo Mustang with about 700rwhp and that thing worked perfect. All the parts are available to swap so not really a big deal.

3. The powerglide is a great choice if you plan to run this car off a trailer and down the strip *With 800+RWHP* Other than that, you'll have more fun with the T-400.

4. JPC is a vendor on this site and carries a few good options for the swap. My shop builds them for them and we've had cars in the 7's, 8's, 9's and hundreds in the 10's.

Here's a Powerglide swap but they offer the T-400 too.

http://www.jpcracing.com/modular-coyote-powerglide-package/

phantom_5_liter

Established Member
Let me see if I can help,

1. Performance Automatic is a great company that's been in the C4 game very long time. Bill is salesman there and knows his crap. If I were to get a C4 from anyone it would be them. They claim lifetime warranty but i'm not sure how that works. C-4's are in Cobrajets and they are built by one specific guy but i'm not sure if he wants his name announced so you'll have to research that on your own. There are a good amount of weak links in a C$ so don't expect to put that in and never touch it again. The planetary gears and thrust washers wear out and cause failure. The input shafts suck and drums break. Also, In my experience, no one really builds a good valve body for it. Usually, the trans builder has to get creative making them work well.

2. If you're into a 3 speed swap than you should consider a T-400. It was a factory built heavy duty truck trans and in it's factory form is a bad ass piece. Thousands are running them every day in there Ford power vehicles. I had one in my '04 Turbo Mustang with about 700rwhp and that thing worked perfect. All the parts are available to swap so not really a big deal.

3. The powerglide is a great choice if you plan to run this car off a trailer and down the strip *With 800+RWHP* Other than that, you'll have more fun with the T-400.

4. JPC is a vendor on this site and carries a few good options for the swap. My shop builds them for them and we've had cars in the 7's, 8's, 9's and hundreds in the 10's.

Here's a Powerglide swap but they offer the T-400 too.

http://www.jpcracing.com/modular-coyote-powerglide-package/

im at 650-700 hp
what u recommend....i track and street "race"

Justin81

Established Member
T-400 if you want an easy 3 speed fix that will never break. 6R80 swap if you have money, the ability or resources to make the swap.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Why would you want to put old technology in a new mustang?? Get a stronger stick shift or a 6R80! Unless your building an 8sec drag car, then go powerglide... Otherwise a six speed will get you in the 9's

Justin81

Established Member
Why would you want to put old technology in a new mustang?? Get a stronger stick shift or a 6R80! Unless your building an 8sec drag car, then go powerglide... Otherwise a six speed will get you in the 9's

Very simple answer. Old technology works. There hasn't been a more reliable automatic developed than the Powerglide and T-400 so they are a widely considered option. That doesn't even consider them being simple and cost effective. Same thing with the 100 year old Ford 9 inch. People drop them into brand new race cars all the time

Stick shift cars do not work like automatic cars at the race track. People swap out to Auto's frequently. Not often is it the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread