people with computer knowlede in here please

badass98vert

Established Member
when it comes to computers i would say i know quite a bit and this problem is driving me crazy. all of a sudden i lost my sound and there are no audio drivers or a device in general that are being detected. i tried to reinstall the driver to no success and i dont know what else it could be unless the hardware went bad but i dont see how that could be since its on the motherboard. it was working just fine yesterday and i didnt do anything out of the ordinary. even when i go to open volume control is says no active mixer devices available and in control panel under sounds is says no audio device. what is wrong here?

50 Proof

Established Member
sounds like the onboard sound card is done, perhaps your motherboard is on its way out altogether? Why not just pick up a new sound card for cheap and plug it in?

badass98vert

Established Member
yeah thats my last resort, i want to make 100% sure thats the problem before i buy anything. i just dont see how it could just stop working, the comp is not that old and everything else is working fine

16kOrBust

Established Member
sounds like the onboard sound card is done, perhaps your motherboard is on its way out altogether? Why not just pick up a new sound card for cheap and plug it in?
x2 on the sound card being done and just buying a new one. Did you check in Device Manager to see if the hardware is being recognized at all? I would say if it's not being recognized at all and it's a built in sound card, it's probably fried.
yeah thats my last resort, i want to make 100% sure thats the problem before i buy anything. i just dont see how it could just stop working, the comp is not that old and everything else is working fine

It's only like $10 for a cheap PCI sound card. Just go grab a new one. Here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1111756&Sku=M501-1042

Or spend a few bucks more: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1870098&Sku=C44-3272

Last edited:

16kOrBust

Established Member
Last edited:

16kOrBust

Established Member
yeah i already checked that and its still enabled

If it was a separate sound card there would be a few other things to try but it really sounds like you're out of options. Is the computer under warranty? You said it isn't that old. My parents' sound card went not to long ago for no apparent reason but luckily it was under warranty, so I just had them send a new one, installed it and it worked fine. But this was only AFTER the tech guy remoted in and tried everything I had already tried. :nonono:

Out of curiosity, what brand/model computer is it and when did you buy it?

Last edited:

badass98vert

Established Member
yeah i dont see any other solution either vise it just going bad. its a dell xps 410 that i bought around a year ago, maybe year and a half and its not under warranty anymore

Users who are viewing this thread