People who have worked 2nd and 3rd shifts

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
I have been on 3rd shift at my job for 11 years so far. Started on 3rd and have always been on 3rd. It is Mon.-Fri. nights 10:30pm-6:30am. Even though I've been on this schedule this long, sleeping during the day is never like sleeping at night. And working every Friday night always messes up your Saturdays.
I have the chance to move to 2nd shift Mon-Fri, 3pm-11pm. The advantage would be being able to sleep at night and having a normal weekend.

Have any of you ever switched from 3rd to 2nd and vice versa? Did you like it? Regret it?

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Do it. Night shift is horrible for your health.

I work nights a few months a year so I know how you feel.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
In the year or so since I got to my new duty station, I've switched between all 3 shifts on several occasions. Currently working mids (2200-0800) for the second time and I can't say I enjoy it. About the only upsides are not having to deal with traffic and that the workplace is less crowded. But as KatyTX5.0 said, it really is bad for your health. Messes with your head in ways you don't even realize until you switch back.

I wasn't on 2nd shift (we call it swings) very long but I liked it a lot. You get to sleep in, you can enjoy normal weekends, and if you have stuff to take care of (like banking, doctor's appts, things that are only open during the day) all you have to do is wake up a little earlier and do it before work. I'd make the switch in a heartbeat.

Stanger00

Established Member
I'd keep holding out until you get enough seniority to get on day shift. Unless, you need the uplift for working off shifts.

The downside to swings is if you have a young family. Never see them once they're back in school.

I work midshift and been put on it for the last 2 months. I like the 9.5% increase in pay but I'm going to do all that I can to get back on day shift. Sleeping without the room blacked out is pretty hard. I'm always tired. I have to wait for the company I work for to have another bid.

SOCOMech

Established Member
I've worked swing shift 2pm - 10:30pm for a few years now....while I would much rather be on the day shift, these hours aren't bad. I have the first part of the day to hang out and do whatever then go to work while missing rush hour. I go to bed as soon as I get home so getting up at 6:30-7am the next morning is no biggie. Graveyard shift though?....FFFFFFF that. Our graveyard shift works 10pm-6:30am Sun-Thur. Most of the guys that have done it would never do it again. Like mentioned before, it just screws with your mind and health in different ways and your weekends are screwed because of your sleep schedule. Some say it's like not having a weekend at all. The guys who do keep working it, well, let's just say they're a different kind of character.

Last edited:

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member
ive worked a night/mid shift in the navy for 7 years now. 1400-2300 most nights, and 1800-0800 most of the time when on deployment. i prefer a night shift honestly. its quiet and crap gets done.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
I have been on Mids (2100-0700) for 13 years now, and unfortunately for me, I am currently in a special assignment where even my 13 years has me near the bottom of the seniority list. I would jump ship to Swings now in a heart beat! Now that I am in my 40's, I am seeing more of the outcome of years beating my mind and body apart on midnights, and I have paid my dues. If you can, get away from the Mids game; there is a reason it is usually the kids on mids...

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Swing shift is so much better than midshift. screw that noise. go to swings...second shift...whatever you prefer to call it. lol.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I worked 3rd 11-7 for 2 years and moved to 1st I like that best then got a promotion on 2nd which I've been on for a year. If I was you I'd go to 2nd 3rd messes with your body after a while I always felt tired after the 1st year on it. 2nd which is 3-11 I go home and go strait to bed and am up at 7-7:30 everyday get stuff do w then etc good luck.

Rings

Established Member
Worked days 0600-1800 4 on 4 off for 2 years, got switched to nights 1800-0600 for 4 months and threatened to kill myself(inside joke with coworkers) took 2 months off for my baby boy and came back to a new position in the agency and 2nd shift 1430-2300 sun-thurs.

I would rather have my days, but this is SO MUCH BETTER than nights!! Wouldn't go back!!

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I've worked off shifts for the last 14 years. The worst was the 1900-0700 and/or 2000-0800 shifts. Some nights it felt like you just hit a "wall" at 0500.

For the last 7 years, I volunteered to work 1500-0030. More relaxed, less drama, shift differential pay and I don't have to take leave to visit the Dentist. I really liked swings, considering going back.

I (semi)recently moved to dayshaft, 0700-1630. The quality of life is better, but the amount of B.S. goes up a LOT and the 0500 alarm still isn't fun.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
I have been on 3rd shift at my job for 11 years so far. Started on 3rd and have always been on 3rd. It is Mon.-Fri. nights 10:30pm-6:30am. Even though I've been on this schedule this long, sleeping during the day is never like sleeping at night. And working every Friday night always messes up your Saturdays.
I have the chance to move to 2nd shift Mon-Fri, 3pm-11pm. The advantage would be being able to sleep at night and having a normal weekend.

Have any of you ever switched from 3rd to 2nd and vice versa? Did you like it? Regret it?

2nd rocks if you are single and don't have kids.

2nd sucks if you are married and have kids.

musclefan21

Established Member
Do it. You will overall feel much better. I have work all 3 shifts. Nights sucks because I was always exhausted.

Edit: good point on the kids. If you have a family, 2nds would suck...

Last edited:

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
Forgot to mention I am single with no kids, but I can see where working 2nd with kids would be a problem. Or if you worked 2nd and had a s.o. who worked 1st you'd hardly see each other at times. Thanks for all the advice so far:beer:
It is a big move for me after 11 years of the same schedule, but if its better I'll make it.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
For the past 6 years I worked predominantly mids (2300-0800) but would change to days (0700-1600) and swings (1500-0000) every now and then for a month or so at a time. I liked both days and mids, swings however I couldn't stand. I found that evenings are my favorite time to be at home; either dinner with the wife, friends, yard work, garage work, whatever. With swing shift I was working all afternoon/evening, I am not a morning person haha.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have worked all three shifts. favorite by far is swings. mids are great because there is no one around to **** with you.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I work 7:00p - 3:00a. But it's a different situation than most. I work from home full time and work on software projects with clients in Asia. I've been doing it for 2.5yrs. I can't decide if I like it or not. Basically I get to work from home full time in exchange for being on this shift, so it's a trade off in my case.

I did many years ago have a job where I jumped around to different shifts. IMO, if your young and have an active (drinking) social life, getting off at about 11p isn't bad. Me and a few work buddies would hit the clock and be at a bar with a beer in hand by 11:30. As you get older I believe 3rd makes more sense between the two. Basically you and the rest of the work just swap sleep\work times but are still awake and off work during the same time - late afternoon\evening. If your single and pushing or over 30, I would just stay on 3rd as it's going to be better for your social life with women your age.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I've worked off shifts for the last 14 years. The worst was the 1900-0700 and/or 2000-0800 shifts. Some nights it felt like you just hit a "wall" at 0500.

For the last 7 years, I volunteered to work 1500-0030. More relaxed, less drama, shift differential pay and I don't have to take leave to visit the Dentist. I really liked swings, considering going back.

I (semi)recently moved to dayshaft, 0700-1630. The quality of life is better, but the amount of B.S. goes up a LOT and the 0500 alarm still isn't fun.

Doing the 1900-0700 right now. Frankly, I'm done with it. I submitted an app for a department transfer that'll have me 0800-1700.

Users who are viewing this thread