People who have SRA with IRS exhaust

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
Thinking about doing this, can I use my current 98 mufflers and just put the pipes after that on my car to do this set up? Or do I have to buy an entirely new catback? I have Bassani mufflers and I realllly don't wanna have to buy another set for the IRS exhaust to work. Any input would be appreciated

98fourvalve

Established Member
Thinking about doing this, can I use my current 98 mufflers and just put the pipes after that on my car to do this set up? Or do I have to buy an entirely new catback? I have Bassani mufflers and I realllly don't wanna have to buy another set for the IRS exhaust to work. Any input would be appreciated

Not 100% sure but you may run into problems as the bassani mufflers you have I am assuming are Center In/Center out. Whereas, irs catbacks are offset/offset to 1 side as the mufflers run close to each other under the car.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
if they are center in center out then it probably can be made to work... if they are offset in offset out (opposite side) like most 79-04 mustangs then no.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
true dat.... IRS muffers have inlet and outlet on the same side as the pipes come in to that point on the mufflers. looking to do this to mine as well. love the look.

98fourvalve

Established Member
I've been searching around for you. Looks like the 03/04 bassani catbacks are center in/out. So you should be all set aside from hanger situations.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
Thanks guys, ill check my mufflers when I'm home from Texas. I can not remember if they are offset but I'm sure they are.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
the pipes that come for an IRS may not match up to center in and out. I had the Bassani mufflers on mine when I first bought (came that way) and they were center in and out and to change mufflers for a standard style setup using the Bassani flow tubes and tailpipes, I had to go with the usual for Sn95 set up of offset/offset. If you look at the pics of an IRS car or an SRA with an IRS catback, they have same side in & out.

98fourvalve

Established Member
the pipes that come for an IRS may not match up to center in and out. I had the Bassani mufflers on mine when I first bought (came that way) and they were center in and out and to change mufflers for a standard style setup using the Bassani flow tubes and tailpipes, I had to go with the usual for Sn95 set up of offset/offset. If you look at the pics of an IRS car or an SRA with an IRS catback, they have same side in & out.

Same side in/out is fitment wise will fit the same as center in/out as long as the mufflers aren't too wide and touch each other.

I have a bassani SRA catback on my GT and there is no way I could install the offset in/offset out traditional style mufflers sitting in my garage into that catback without it coming out wonky.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
Same side in/out is fitment wise will fit the same as center in/out as long as the mufflers aren't too wide and touch each other.

I have a bassani SRA catback on my GT and there is no way I could install the offset in/offset out traditional style mufflers sitting in my garage into that catback without it coming out wonky.

interesting. I had the Bassani SRA catback on mine, bought MAC center/center like the Bassani mufflers and they would not fit. Had to get offset on either side for it to fit.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
I want to do this also. So I will be a better listener than teacher this time. ;)

Personally think it looks so much cleaner than a traditional over axle set up
Easier to pull off incase it's needed as well

mcham

Established Member
Got a ? I can use a catback for an 03/04 Cobra on my 96 Cobra? If so post some pics of the install & what had to be done to to do it.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
Got a ? I can use a catback for an 03/04 Cobra on my 96 Cobra? If so post some pics of the install & what had to be done to to do it.

That's what this thread is about, it's been done you just gotta modify a bit. I just didn't wanna have to buy new Bassani

98fourvalve

Established Member
Last edited:

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
finished polishing the Pypes system I got to do this. may not have polished out as good as some of you guys have been able to do, but still came out pretty good. my car is a DD so they won't stay very clean very long anyway, especially with all the rain.

Thanx to NVRL8TE for the suggestion on how to polish them. I was trying all kinds of stuff and not getting very far.

If any one is interested in a brand new set of Pypes Violator (think that is what they are..say M80 on them) mufflers, they are the round straight thru stainless ones, polished, I will sell them to you cheap.
100_1776_zps617c0ed0.gif

Last edited:

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member

Do it man! SRA catbacks have offset on one side inlet and other side outlet so you will need new mufflers to have the inlet and outlet on the same side. Also to get the hangers to match up you can use generic 2 1/2 inch U clamps to extend the hangar. Ive been wanting to do this to my mach for some time now, I just gotta pull the trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread