People who have put on lower pulleys**come in please****

ORLREDFIRE

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Anyone ever notice a diff in how the engine feels through the shifter when going from a stock lower crank pulley with stock cage and then going to a Lower crank pulley like the Metco 6# ?

Some shops and tuners i respect alot have said that they dont like to do lower crank pulleys because you always feel a difference in the Engine (meaning a vibration or vibes that increase when Rpm's increase) thru the shifter.

I wanted to hear form anyone that has experienced this. It will do it when in or out of gear. vibe tends to increase with rpm.

Car mods---KB 2.2 / Metco 6# lower / 3.25 upper/ has metco idler set up AND a larger puller where the tensioner is (orig pulley on tensioner broke so owner put on a metco that is larger than the reg tensioner pulley) / Short block done by Johhny Lightning, .20 over manleys with stock dish cc / centerforce DF and flywheel / 26 spline input shaft/ Fact mans / bassani x with cats/ bassani catback/ level 5 shafts/ Accufab TB single blade / 60 #'s/ KB BAP/ sct 2400/ e.t.c..

I was thinking logically maybe either pulley issues or Flywheel?? Vibe is not major but you can def feel it thru the clutch pedal--again not major but slightly getting worse as rpms increase, also can feel it in steering wheel, and definitely in shifter. Car has yet to be tuned--just got it--didnt jump on it too much--just a couple second gear pulls.

Could it also be somewhere in tranny? Output shaft?

All opinions with actual experience in this are needed. Thank you!

JMD0346

Established Member
Never heard that. Those pieces are CNC machined. They arent out of balance. I wouldnt think. Do you have headers?

Remember. Sometimes shops will tell you things that arent true. Just to get you out the door. Not saying they are.

It sounds like a tranny/clutch issue to me. If the lower pulley was slightly out of true I dont think it would be capable of causing that much vibration.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I'm going to guess that the pulley is out of balance or mounted off center. I would be amazed if the balance is off enough to cause a vibration. Try mounting a dial indicator and rotating the pulley and see if it's off center at all. Since this came up in your pulley swap, it makes sense that the problem is related to that. Also, did you change the alternator pulley? Is the new belt defective? There could be other issues to consider. But contrary to what you have been told, I have NEVER heard of this problem here and there are a ton of guys running lowers.

mosconiac

Established Member
I don't how "respected" tuners & shops can make such idiotic comments. They must not sell a lower kit, so they don't want to promote using them.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Not only do I not have this condition with my lower pulley, but I've actually never even heard of this happening to someone before.......The folks that know more about these cars than enyone, all feel that lower pulley upgrades are a safe, easy, risk free, and cheap way to increase supercharger boost.

Silverboost

Established Member
no vibes at all with mine...hey if you want to get together sometime this week about the rims give me a call (407-319-5847)...ended up not going to the Bahamas for christmas...we couldn't find our daughters birth certificate so they wouldn't let us fly out...we were so pissed...we were at the airport this morning ready to go...we are hoping the we good at least half of our money back for the trip...
Mike

RRRR03Cobra

Anti-venom is Useless!
Established Member
I have had a Metco 2lb for quite a while with no problems. My friend RiffRaff has had his Metco 4lb for a long time with no problems either. Sounds like another type of problem.

Users who are viewing this thread