people are trying to rip me off....what do I do

ALsyr44

Established Member
Hey everyone. I have posted this over at stangnet, but I figured it might be better to get some advice from people who know the law. Here it goes......

Hey all. I am selling my GT which is bad/sad enough. But now someone is trying to scam me big time. I traded emails with this person, and they eventually sent me the "cashiers check story". For those that might not know what it is, you get an email saying this person is willing buy the car, but they want to send you more than you are asking for it and you are supposed to send the difference back to them for shipping. When you take the cahsiers check to the bank it will usually clear, but then 7-10 days later the bank will call you and tell you it is a fake and you owe the bank the money back. This scam has been around for a while now.

I want to know what is the best way to report these people or try to catch them? Is it even possible? Many times this scam involves people from forien countries, so it might not be worth it.

Anyone else had any experience with this?

Thanks.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Dont try to arrange catching them on your own. It wont work. Call the local office of the F.B.I. (it is in the phone book) and report it to them.

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Oh, I hate scammers. This might be an opportunity to catch one. Maybe let the authorities know and see if they'll let you continue the transaction but they can track it to the person or organization who is doing all this. But with the amount of scamming that goes on, it seems like the authorities don't waste time with this stuff or there would be a lot less of it. Can't hurt to ask them how you should proceed. If they don't want to help, maybe you can think of a way to counter scam them.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I work for a bank and I'll tell you we have had this happen just recently. If someone offers you a deal to good to be true it usually is. We have actually started putting 10 - 15 day holds on Cashiers checks and sending them out for collection. People do not understand how much trouble they can get into by passing counterfiet checks. We have one customer now who is really upset with us for doing this same thing and not giving him the cashiers check back so he can go somewhere else and get it cashed. He really thinks its a joke. ITS NOT. This causes me tons of paper work and lots of time. Usually the person contacting you is not giving you their correct name or you would have something to go back on them with. Just be very careful.

Last edited:

ALsyr44

Established Member
Once I got this email I knew something wasnt right. I honestly cant see these people having too much luck getting anyone to go for it. It pisses me off, but I dont want to try and do anything on my own. Who knows who I could be dealing with. They already have my email, phone number, and who knows what else. It wouldnt be too hard to track me down. Plus I dont want to put my family or friends as well as myself and possesions at risk. I'll probably just the local FBI branch as mentioned before. Maybe there isnt much else going on and they will get excited about it. It would be cool to play an intergal part in some sting.

Thanks for the responses.

Floridalawdog

Established Member
I worked a call at an amscot recently of a guy cashing a bad check. Dude recieved a letter from England saying someone in England bought a lotto ticket for you and you won. To recieve your 18 million dollars you must send us 2500 for insurance. This guy actually believed that a total stranger bought him a ticket in another country. So he calls the # in England and tells them he doesnt have the 2500. They tell him a guy in California is going to loan him the money and give him an extra couple grand for himself. Take the check to the bank, deposit it, and wire the 2500 to us. Well the banks will do this, but a couple days later when the check is found to be fake, you pay the whole thing. What dumbass would believe this crap. This guy was saved because he went to amscot, and they caught on.

numbaonestunna

Established Member
you ever hear the expression...

Floridalawdog said:
I worked a call at an amscot recently of a guy cashing a bad check. Dude recieved a letter from England saying someone in England bought a lotto ticket for you and you won. To recieve your 18 million dollars you must send us 2500 for insurance. This guy actually believed that a total stranger bought him a ticket in another country. So he calls the # in England and tells them he doesnt have the 2500. They tell him a guy in California is going to loan him the money and give him an extra couple grand for himself. Take the check to the bank, deposit it, and wire the 2500 to us. Well the banks will do this, but a couple days later when the check is found to be fake, you pay the whole thing. What dumbass would believe this crap. This guy was saved because he went to amscot, and they caught on.

...everytime they making something idiot proof, the world produces a greater idiot...

Floridalawdog

Established Member
numbaonestunna said:
...everytime they making something idiot proof, the world produces a greater idiot...

This guy kept telling me " come on what would you do if you got a letter saying you won millions of dollars in England"

And I said "throw it in the garbage"

Ironhand

Banned
When I bought my Mach from a guy on this site I payed with a Cashiers check, but I waited at the bank while they varified that the funds were indeed there. Now, if they could do that then it's cool for the most part, but if you can, try to sell it locally or hold the check and the car until it clears and you have the cash in your hand. Then send the car. If the guy wants the car bad enough then he could stand to wait for 10-15 days if it is legit.

There is an idiot born every minute, just make sure your not that idiot. :)

dschimp

Established Member
As was stated before the FBI is the best agency to contact with this type of crime. Your tip will probably be directed to their white collar crimes unit. They've been pretty successful in prosecuting some domestic scammers doing this through Ebay and the Internet in general. Just look up the number in the phone book, you can call 24 hours a day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread