Pennzoil synthetic on sale at Kmart

wheelhopper

Established Member
Figured I would spread the word that I just got Pennzoil full synthetic at Kmart, on sale, for $4 a quart. Thought that was a pretty good price. Get some while the getting is good.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Figured I would spread the word that I just got Pennzoil full synthetic at Kmart, on sale, for $4 a quart. Thought that was a pretty good price. Get some while the getting is good.

Platinum or Ultra?

Just for the record, it actually contains hydrocracked highly refined petroleum. Only in America can you market refined petroleum as synthetic. However, at $4.00 a quart, that's a bargain for Pennzoil.

wheelhopper

Established Member
WalMart has it on sale as well. A 5qt jug for $20. Just make sure you get the jug with the instant rebate tag on it.

I never felt Pennzoil was the best out there. The synthetic has to be better than any synthetic blend out there. Even if you don't run it in your Mustang, it has to be good enough to run in the daily drivers. I am using it in my GF Edge and in my road course Mustang with an old school 302.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I heard of that happening in the '90s with guys late 60s and early 70s muscle cars. The combination of the smaller oil molecules, the looser tolerances of the older motors, along with the age of the gaskets/seals did not make a good combination.

SVTDice

Established Member
I can believe that. I saw it cause an older engine to leak once. The deposits must have been all that was holding the seals intact.

Bingo. I keep hearing people say "Synthetics cause leaks" No...They just find leaks that were already there. :rolling:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Platinum or Ultra?

Just for the record, it actually contains hydrocracked highly refined petroleum. Only in America can you market refined petroleum as synthetic. However, at $4.00 a quart, that's a bargain for Pennzoil.

you can thank Castrol for that debacle.. which is why I will never, and have never bought Castrol oil..

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Bingo. I keep hearing people say "Synthetics cause leaks" No...They just find leaks that were already there. :rolling:

You are 100% correct.

you can thank Castrol for that debacle.. which is why I will never, and have never bought Castrol oil..

Correct, Castrol began this fiasco......Mobil 1 made it official in 2005ish.

Jroc

Established Member
Ultra is known to have awesome engine cleaning potential.

How does it compare to your Mobil 1's and Castol synthetics when talking about cleaning the engine? My L has going on 114K miles so maybe a good cleansing might be in order.

Year ago before I started running GC I use to run Pennzoil synthetic oil and thought it was pretty good stuff, but I think they have since come out with what's suppose to be a better synthetic oil which I assume is the Ultra?

Would the Ultra clean better than the German Castrol I use?

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
It's really tough to say, as Ultra's cleaning ability comes in two forms....

1. It's 100% hydrocracked petroleum (now rumored to be GTL) - both should hold contaminants in suspension of the lubricant better carrying it to the filter.

2. Additives that Pennzoil will not disclose are said to add to the cleaning potential of Ultra.

Jroc

Established Member
It's really tough to say, as Ultra's cleaning ability comes in two forms....

1. It's 100% hydrocracked petroleum (now rumored to be GTL) - both should hold contaminants in suspension of the lubricant better carrying it to the filter.

2. Additives that Pennzoil will not disclose are said to add to the cleaning potential of Ultra.

So do you think maybe next time I change my oil giving the Pennzoil Ultra a shot to see what it would do would be a good idea? Pennzoil does like to make claims that it is some very good cleaning oil. It shouldn't hurt anything changing up oil? Maybe do a short in-between oil changes run with it.(5K or so)

I mean even though most so-called OTC synthetic oils that aren't true synthetic oil it's still some pretty damn good stuff and I Pennzoil should fall into that category?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
so it gets better if you buy 5 qts you can also get a $10 Shell gas card after rebate.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Wow, this deal keeps getting better.

Although, I hope this opens people's eyes to the truth. The base stock used is far cheaper than true synthetics. You are seeing what it should really be selling for to the public, not the marked up prices it has in the past. More of the illusion that you are buying a true synthetic lubricant, but you are not.

Users who are viewing this thread